FAQFAQ
   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
#1 In Identity Theft Protection

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> The Great Maine Outdoors

clam digging

Author    Thread
Chub Fisherman
Official Pissant

clam digging

Well, there hasn't been any post in the great outdoors for a while,so here's one for you all
(God, Have one baby and all my fishing days I can kiss goodbye)

I went down to the water (I have a ROW to the water)which was my first chance to do something in a while, and dug some cherry stones, quahogs, razor, and soft shell clams. It was a great morning to dig them. Later that evening, I fired up my charcoal grill and tried them out. The smaller cherry stones were great, the bigger ones a bit much for me. The cherry stones(AKA little neck)clams i boiled for 3 minutes until they opened. Then i cut them out of their shell and removed the outer lip. Then I returned them to the shell and cooked for another 3 minutes or so on the grill. The small ones got a whallop of chive butter on the top while the larger ones got barbecue sauce. I loved the chive butter ones, the barbecue ones went in the fire.....still needs some experimenting to fine tune the first time recipes. Luckily I had a rum and coke to soften the edges.
here is the adventure.

Mmmm ready to go

On the grill, chicken for the wife

Post Tue 07 Aug, 2007 1:01 pm 
RC
Mosquito

Looks like I'll have to go get me some clams......Never thought of grilling them though. I would think that would really dry them out.

Post Wed 08 Aug, 2007 2:26 pm 
RC
Mosquito

Looks like I'll have to go get me some clams......Never thought of grilling them though. I would think that would really dry them out.

Post Wed 08 Aug, 2007 2:30 pm 
PaulaJane
Moose

Miss Know it All

I realize I already KNOW IT ALL, so can you tell me...

What are those long tubular shells? Are they clams? If so, what kind are they? Oh, and are they edible?

The only clams that I am familiar with are called: Fried

Everything else means... clam shells You know, the ones that hurt your feet when you are at the ocean, and walking on the sand.

Post Thu 09 Aug, 2007 2:26 am 
Chub Fisherman
Official Pissant

Paula, of course you know what they are. Its just that that information has been stacked under all the other crap information, and you're just haveing trouble accessing it.
They are called razor clams(becuase they are shaped like the old straight razors used for shaving) Yes they are edible. They have a big muscled foot that they use to draw themselves down into the sand/mud. On the larger ones, that muscle can be cut into cubes and is just like a scallop(poor mans).
The ones I had were very small so they got over cooked.
Anyway, I hope that refreshed you memory.

Post Thu 09 Aug, 2007 5:35 am 
PaulaJane
Moose

I don't remember ever tasting the razor clam. I wonder if I go to Weathervane if I can order just razor clams. I will make it a point to ask/order some.

Thank you Club Fisherman for the information. I remember my niece telling me some of her adventures at her beach parties that she would attend. The group would eat raw clams. Now, in order to do that, then I would assume that they would be alive? It's been 30 or more years and I am just thinking about it now. Ha, brain drain eh?

Post Thu 09 Aug, 2007 9:54 pm 
Chub Fisherman
Official Pissant

Sniff...sniff.....I do smell something that smells like melting electrical wiring....is that you?

Post Fri 10 Aug, 2007 5:40 am 
PaulaJane
Moose

Craving

Wouldn't you know it... Sat. we were out and about, stopped at Fat Joe's (I think that's the name).. It's an ice cream place on Route 3 in China. Anyway, I am eating my banana split, and Norman was reading the menu as it hung on the outside of the building.

He said, "Gosh, look at the clam basket. Not a bad price honey, why don't you get one?" Uhm.. I'm sitting here eating ice cream. I am a diabetic. You really wouldn't want me to tackle fried clams on top of that would you?

So what would you do? Ha, the same as me probably. So I stuffed my face full of fried clams, and forgot to ask about razor clams. Oh well... they sure were good though. It's been a long time since I had such a treat. Wished I had it before the ice cream though. I did get to bring some home. I forgot about the left over until I was just typing this. It's too late to munch tonight, so I'll have some left over fried clams in the morning.

Post Mon 13 Aug, 2007 10:56 pm 
Chub Fisherman
Official Pissant

Mmmmm...nut'en like day old soggy clams........You won't be able to get razor clams they are not commercially available. But you can eat them.

Post Tue 14 Aug, 2007 7:17 am 
PaulaJane
Moose

haha You sure did make those left over clams taste extra good Club Fisherman! Laughing

Thanks a bunch,

Post Mon 20 Aug, 2007 11:29 pm 
Chub Fisherman
Official Pissant

No Problem,......I'm good at pointing out the obvious, just ask my wife!

Post Tue 21 Aug, 2007 5:32 am 

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> The Great Maine Outdoors