FAQFAQ
   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
#1 In Identity Theft Protection

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> The Great Maine Outdoors

Bonfire location near Greenville?

Author    Thread
graimee
Wanna-be Mainah

Bonfire location near Greenville?

I'm getting married later this month in Greenville. The night before, we're looking to have a bonfire after the rehearsal dinner for about 50-75 people. The only problem is, we have no idea where we can hold it. I've spoken to the town office, the local Chamber of Commerce and the fire chief, and the best I've been able to come up with so far is Squaw Brook campgrounds, but I'm not sure that will work. They don't take reservations -- it's first-come, first-serve -- and I get the sense that it's more of a campground for small groups, and 50 would be a bit of a squish. Further complicating matters is the fact that I'm in New York, and won't be arriving in Maine until a few days before the wedding.

Any suggestions on a location reasonably close to Greenville? We don't mind shelling out for a fire permit or any other fees we need to pay in order to get a good location

Thanks!
Greg

Post Thu 05 Jul, 2007 2:57 pm 
Chub Fisherman
Official Pissant

I'mk sure you could find someone with a small gravel pit that you could have it in. However, I think you'll have to be in Maine to get the permission. Personally, I would find one and just do it, yet I lknow of many remote pits that wouldn't attract attention ( none in Greenville, though)Sorry Sad

Post Fri 06 Jul, 2007 12:14 pm 
graimee
Wanna-be Mainah

Thanks for the reply, Chub Fisherman. How does one go about finding a suitable space and getting permission? Are you referring to private property? Since we will have as many as 75 guests, and since I'm not too keen on getting arrested the night before my wedding, I'm not so sure we would want to commandeer a location without permission.

The problem is that I'm not even sure where to start looking. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Greg

Post Thu 12 Jul, 2007 4:36 pm 
Chub Fisherman
Official Pissant

I would either contact the town again or try and contact someone that either does heavy construction or gravel/dirt/sand delivery. They would be the ones that would either have or know who owns a gravel pit in the area. I grew up in Maine and theres is a plethera of pits throughout Maine and there should be someone in the area that would be willing to allow you to have a fire pit free of charge or for a minimal fee. However, you'll have to get on the phone and start calling to se, I know no one in the area, unfortunately.

Post Fri 13 Jul, 2007 5:37 am 

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> The Great Maine Outdoors