FAQFAQ
   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
#1 In Identity Theft Protection

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> Around The Water Cooler

Mom sues over killer's 90-minute execution

Author    Thread
The Founder
Forum Governor

The mother of a condemned inmate whose execution took an hour longer than is typical sued the head of Ohio's prisons on Monday.

It took 90 minutes for Joseph Clark to die during his execution in May.

It took almost 90 minutes to carry out the execution of Joseph Clark in May 2006. The lawsuit, filed in a Cincinnati federal court, said the execution amounted to unconstitutional cruel and unusual punishment. Executions last about 20 minutes on average.

A message seeking comment was left for the prisons department Monday but was not returned.

In a separate lawsuit, a group of 15 inmates are challenging the state's injection process, arguing the procedure may cause prisoners to suffer during an execution.

Prison staff had problems finding a useable vein on Clark, and one vein they did use collapsed. The execution team also apparently tried to administer the lethal drugs through the original IV line by mistake, according to written accounts that the execution team is required to submit.

During the first injection attempt, Clark finally pushed himself up and said, "It don't work."

During the second attempt at finding a vein, he asked, "Can you just give me something by mouth to end this?"

Clark, 57, was sentenced to die in November 1984 for killing gas station attendant David Manning in Toledo.

The problems during the execution led the state to change its lethal injection process to ensure that veins can be found more carefully and quickly to avoid similar delays.

But in May, an execution team again struggled to find veins in another inmate's arm. Christopher Newton died nearly two hours after the scheduled start of his execution.

Post Thu 05 Jul, 2007 2:30 pm 
wanderer
Official Mainah

A single gun shot or hanging might be messier, but it seems a lot more humane than lethal injection. Even 20 minutes sounds like a long time.

Post Fri 06 Jul, 2007 9:24 am 
funcpl
Mosquito

How long did it take for the guy he killed, David Manning, to die in 1984? I really don't care if it took him 90 minutes to die and had to be stuck a few times with a needle. He had nothing else to do or anywhere else to be.

Post Sat 07 Jul, 2007 6:33 am 
Essyllt
Official Mainah

Wanderer is getting soft. Too much soy!

Post Sun 08 Jul, 2007 8:20 pm 
times
Lobstah

What's the problem? The job was to kill the guy by lethal injection... I doubt there was a time limit on how quick they had to do the job. As far as I can tell.... they did their job... the guys dead. I think that's even better... he had 90 minutes to think about what he did that got him there in the first place. I know he had 20-something years on death row to think, but when you're strapped to the table its kind of immanent at that point.

Post Mon 09 Jul, 2007 4:26 pm 
wanderer
Official Mainah

It's all that soy and Dancing with the Stars. Jesus!

Actually, it's in the constitution. Eighth Amendment? You know the one about cruel and unusual punishment? I know, wanderer and his faggoty constitution stuff. Smile

They are criminals and their acts most likely warranted the death penalty. I am not crying for them. All I am saying is that the sentence could be administered in a quicker, more humane way.

Post Tue 10 Jul, 2007 8:14 am 
tumbleweed
Official Mainah

quote:
In a separate lawsuit, a group of 15 inmates are challenging the state's injection process, arguing the procedure may cause prisoners to suffer during an execution.

To hell with what they want. They didn't care if their victims suffered. Since when are convicted murders compasionate where their victims are concerned?

What about the tax payer who suffers from supporting them for 15 years on appeal?

Fry in hell for all I care.

Post Tue 10 Jul, 2007 8:40 am 
wanderer
Official Mainah

So cruel and unusual punishment or even torture is ok, granted it is being done on convicted murderers? That what you're saying basically?

Post Tue 10 Jul, 2007 10:55 am 
tumbleweed
Official Mainah

I don't consider lethal injection as cruel and unusual punishment .

Are there going to be problems from time to time? Sure, but overall I think it is a human way to be put to death if that is the sentence.

Post Tue 10 Jul, 2007 11:15 am 
Vizzini
Lobstah

Torture is justified if there is a legitimate and reasonable thought process that leads one to think that the torture will save innocent lives. Torturing (and yes taking 90 minutes to kill him is torture) this guy is pointless, vengeful etc. (and womanly).

Post Tue 10 Jul, 2007 5:25 pm 
times
Lobstah

quote:
Originally posted by wanderer:
Actually, it's in the constitution. Eighth Amendment? You know the one about cruel and unusual punishment? I know, wanderer and his faggoty constitution stuff.

I'm thinking that your original idea of hanging would be pretty unusual for 2007 and blowing their brains out would fall under the cruel.

lethal injection is the best way we have today to get the job done. So what some times they have a hard time finding a vein?! Getting poked a few times with a little needle is still better then bursting into flames from the electric chair or ramming your skull off a metal pipe while you gasp and gag in the gas chamber.

I've been to the hospital to have blood work done and they've had a hard time finding a vein on me... I never once thought about calling that cruel and unusual punishment.

Post Sat 14 Jul, 2007 7:36 am 
Vizzini
Lobstah

quote:
Originally posted by times:

I've been to the hospital to have blood work done and they've had a hard time finding a vein on me... I never once thought about calling that cruel and unusual punishment.

Were they poking about for a vein so they could kill you? It's the prolongation of your "last moments" that is torturous.

Post Sat 14 Jul, 2007 8:37 am 
wanderer
Official Mainah

quote:
Originally posted by times:
I'm thinking that your original idea of hanging would be pretty unusual for 2007 and blowing their brains out would fall under the cruel.

If done correctly, death by hanging or gunshot is instantaneous and painless, not to mention, much cheaper.

Obviously what defines cruel and unusual is subject to societys opinion.

Post Mon 16 Jul, 2007 8:13 am 

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> Around The Water Cooler