FAQFAQ
   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
#1 In Identity Theft Protection

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> General Maine Discussions

FLorida Jury sticks it to child protective

Author    Thread
colbycoolage
Official Mainah

FLorida Jury sticks it to child protective

Jury blames DCF in death of 3-year-old

STARKE - A Bradford County jury found the state Department of Children and Families 100 percent at fault Wednesday in the death of a 3-year-old girl left in an abusive home.
Ciara Floyd, 3, was beaten to death by her mother's boyfriend in 1996, a month after the girl's father took her to Shands Hospital in Gainesville with bruises on her chest and back. A state child-abuse investigator said there was not enough evidence to remove the child from her mother's home.
The boyfriend, Larry Christopher Noegel, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and was sentenced to 30 years in prison. Jurors awarded $250,000 to Ciara's father, William Floyd, the same amount he was seeking in the lawsuit, The Florida Times-Union reported on its Web site.
DCF officials did not immediately say whether they would appeal the verdict.
"We are reviewing the jury's decision and are exploring our legal options," DCF spokesman Tim Bottcher said in a statement.
DCF's lawyer said in closing arguments that the investigator, Janice Joiner, had no recourse under the law but to leave Ciara with her mother. Deputy Attorney General Denis Dean said in defending DCF that there were no doctor's reports from Shands indicating abuse.
"Without that, there were no reasonable grounds to justify the removal of Ciara," Dean said. "Whether she'd like to do something, whether she has a feeling, she has to follow the law. It'd be great if she had a crystal ball."
But Floyd's lawyer said the bruises on the child's chest and back, an admitted domestic battery by her mother's boyfriend and a verified abuse report involving another child should have prompted Ciara's removal from the home, attorney Val Bates said.
"Would you have to have more information than that?" Bates asked jurors. "Ms. Joiner, she wants to see a knife sticking out of your neck."
Bates asked jurors to award Ciara's father $250,000, more than twice the state cap of $100,000, for negligence claims against state agencies. Bates said no amount of money could ever compensate Floyd for losing his daughter, who would now be 11 years old.
Dean called Floyd's death a "tragedy" but urged jurors not to "let the tragedy of her death be compounded by blaming Janice Joiner."

Are these jurors snowbirds from Maine? let's get them up here in goverment! WHOO HOO GO JURY. O.K. so I am a slimy cheerleader for a good jury decision.

Post Fri 21 Jan, 2005 10:51 pm 
colbycoolage
Official Mainah

It strikes me that noone noticed the DAD crying fowl and taking the child to the hospital in the last and final days before she died. and CHILD Services did nothing.

If you ask me It's also a sign of how seriously DADDYS are in a state ran system. The idea is so bad you noticed all of the advertisements by the government "It takes a man to bad a father". Course how does one be a man in a STATE that sees you only as a sperm donor and a paycheck.

I am lucky that I have my children. I stay up late and wonder how many other dads are not even allowed to see their kids and have police chasing them for back child support.

I recently saw a picture of a billboard in the great state of MASS. It had a Childs drawing of some people in prison and read "thanks for putting my daddy in jail". It was paid for by a committee against the attorney general. Think about that someone standing up against an agency that's creating homes where abuse would run rampant. gives you something to really think about.

Post Wed 02 Feb, 2005 10:23 pm 

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> General Maine Discussions