FAQFAQ
   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
#1 In Identity Theft Protection

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> General Maine Discussions

Older Mainer beaten to death by youth mercilessly
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
empire
Official Mainah

Older Mainer beaten to death by youth mercilessly

Thursday, April 6, 2006

Teen pleads
no contest in
Bingham death
Valley High School senior will
be sentenced after his graduation

By ALAN CROWELL
Staff Writer

SKOWHEGAN -- A Bingham teen pleaded no contest Wednesday to aggravated assault in the death of a 47-year-old Moscow man during a drunken fight last August on Bingham's Main Street.

Dusty Pinkham, 19, a senior at Upper Kennebec Valley Memorial High School in Bingham, entered the plea as part of an agreement that caps his sentence at five years, including three years in prison.

A no-contest plea means the defendant does not admit responsibility for the crime but accepts that he may be found guilty. The court treats it the same as a guilty plea.

Pinkham, who wore blue jeans and a blue, collared shirt to court Wednesday morning, will be sentenced in July, after he graduates. He is taking night classes at the high school.

Prosecutors dropped a charge of manslaughter, largely because the victim, Blaine Beane, threw the first punch when Pinkham yelled obscenities at him. A manslaughter charge could have resulted in a much longer sentence.

Under the agreement, which was accepted by Superior Court Justice Joseph Jabar, the defense can argue for a lesser sentence. He could also be sentenced to a maximum of three years probation.

Outside the courtroom Wednesday morning, friends and relatives of Beane said the plea agreement does not do justice to a man they described as a "big teddy bear" who was good to everyone.

They complained that Pinkham bailed out of jail soon after his arrest and would have gone to his prom if they hadn't objected.

Elaine Messer, a cousin of Beane, said the plea agreement didn't seem fair. She said Beane, who worked in the woods as a heavy-equipment operator, was well-liked by almost everyone.

"It just makes it hard because it is a small town," Messer said.

According to Deputy Attorney General William Stokes, Pinkham was drinking with friends on Main Street on the night of the fight.

Witnesses said Beane left the Moose Alley Inn on Main Street about 9:30 p.m. and was walking away from Pinkham when Pinkham shouted obscenities at him, according to Stokes.

Putting down the lunch bag he was carrying, Beane turned around and walked back to an intoxicated Pinkham, asked him what the problem was and struck him in the face, Stokes said, reading from a synopsis of testimony provided by witnesses.

What followed was a "free-for-all," with the younger and powerfully built Pinkham quickly gaining the upper hand.

Friends of Pinkham tried to separate the two, and at one point Beane said "I am done," apparently trying to end the fight, Stokes said.

But Pinkham, who is 6-foot-1 and weighs about 215 pounds, according to court documents, continued to hit Beane until the older man fell and struck his head on the sidewalk or street.

One witness described Pinkham as "going crazy," Stokes said.

But while it is clear that Pinkham went far beyond what could be considered self-defense, the fact that Beane threw the first punch greatly complicated matters for the prosecution, Stokes said.

He also said that while Beane died of acute head injuries, it is not clear if those injuries were from the fall or blows to the head.

Philip Mohlar, Pinkham's attorney, said that while Beane and his client had a history of trading verbal barbs, they had never been involved in a fist fight.

"They had encounters similar to this one in the past that hadn't developed into anything. Certainly, Dusty was very surprised at what happened," Mohlar said. He said his client feels very badly about the incident.

Since being charged with the crime, Mohlar said his client hasn't been able to attend regular classes or participate in sports or other activities at his high school.

This post and its attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended readers, please immediately notify the poster and then delete this communication without reading it. Then have a lobotomy and have the post contents removed.

Last edited by empire on Thu 15 Jan, 2009 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu 06 Apr, 2006 5:03 am 
empire
Official Mainah

note: Maine prosecutors are incompetent or just lazy.

I ran this story by a former Mass. prosecutor who said they would not have dropped the charge of manslaughter. Perhaps the Maine prosecutors are incompetent.lazy, and/or they do not want to spend state money in prosecuting the scumbag in a series of court sessions.

scumbag gets a free murder,maine prosecutors have horse manure for brains.

maine precedent set; 'swear at some old mainer til they act out,then murder them and get away with it'

This post and its attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended readers, please immediately notify the poster and then delete this communication without reading it. Then have a lobotomy and have the post contents removed.

Post Thu 06 Apr, 2006 5:19 am 
tumbleweed
Official Mainah

empire

I don't know if I would call it free, but the sentence doesn't fit the crime. IMO.

I guess if you want to beat someone to death just bring them to Maine and get them to throw the first punch. Rolling Eyes

Post Thu 06 Apr, 2006 5:43 am 
empire
Official Mainah

is maine radio stations talking about this today or are they still boring thier audience with the same old fluff topics

Post Thu 06 Apr, 2006 6:00 am 
tumbleweed
Official Mainah

empire
Someone from southern Maine will have to answer that question. We don't have the radio talk shows up here like southern Maine.

Post Thu 06 Apr, 2006 6:05 am 
empire
Official Mainah

well, you really dont need a radio to answer that question anyways. my guess is they are tallking about illegal aliens and the problems they cause in america like driving without licenses,without insurance, drunk driving, dealing illegal drugs and bringing violent crime and gangs to america.

Post Thu 06 Apr, 2006 6:13 am 
Chub Fisherman
Official Pissant

If your talking about Maine in the morning with George Hale and Ric Tyler,....No they're not talking about it. Becuase they've ruined that hole show! I used to drive to work each morning and had something to talk about when I got there.
Now all I can say is they are borrrrrrrrrrrrinnnnnnnnnggggggg!
This morning, Rick Tyler said jokingly to George Hale that George should right a check for $80,000.00 for a charity in Machias that they were discussing. George said to the lady he would right a check, but she would have to catch it with a tennis racket becuase it would bounce. WTF? Catch it witha tennis racket? I know where he was going with that comment, but a tennis racket? George, did you mean a glove? Holy crap...they are so terrible its forced me to listen to NPR. Now they're having a traffic report added to the daily broadcast. Who cares? Most places in Maine, there is only one road in and out of places and there's hardly any traffic. They said yesterday, that traveling between Houlton and Augusta was slow due to slippery conditions. It didn't start to snow until 7:00pm., and was completly sunny out at 4:00pm when it was broadcast.(it might have been snowing up by Houlton, but once you're south of Millinockett, its a whole different weather pattern.)

Anyway, I was off on a tangent.
I feel bad for the kid. He cant go to classes during the day and has to attend night classes. All overy acciddentl beating some one to death. Oopsy
Don't come to Maine! We're tough on crime. By crime, I mean pot smokers 10-20 years for a joint, murder...90 day in home suspension, Pedophiles-free medication.!
Laughing Mad

Post Thu 06 Apr, 2006 6:41 am 
empire
Official Mainah

3 years ago in the SAME COURT HOUSE, they gave a woman 15 days in a jail for passing cigarettes to her husband during a jail visit.

you watch, 1-5-10 years from now,i bet this scumbag will be back in the news for another incident.

by the way, these horrible,disgraceful murders go on in massachusetts too, an Abington,Ma one comes to mind, but i thought because 'everyone' owned a gun in Maine and Maine towns are predominately white, so these crimes would not happen.

Last edited by empire on Thu 06 Apr, 2006 7:59 am; edited 2 times in total

Post Thu 06 Apr, 2006 7:40 am 
tumbleweed
Official Mainah

Maine sentencing guidelines leaves a lot to be desired. Rolling Eyes

Post Thu 06 Apr, 2006 7:49 am 
mistydawn0801
Wanna-be Mainah

The courts are so messed up I'm thinking they're beyond hope.

Kill a cat you can get 4 years in prison.

Molest a child you can get 18 months.

Deal drugs, shop lift, steal checkbooks(and cash the checks), let bank robbers use your home, drive the getaway car and break the rules of your probation....3 times! 30 days, time served.

Gotta love this state. I'm thinking about becoming a heroin addict so the state will pay my rent, buy my food, get free healthcare, fix my car, free counseling, and cash in my hand the first of every month.

Uh oh, something got me started....I'd better stop now. 'cause I could go on and on and on.......

Post Thu 06 Apr, 2006 8:04 am 
Oooh - Piece of Candy
From Away

quote:
Originally posted by tumbleweed:
I guess if you want to beat someone to death just bring them to Maine and get them to throw the first punch. Rolling Eyes

Oh & don't forget to get drunk first or stoned out of your tree... that is always a way out of proper punishment no matter where you are.

Post Thu 06 Apr, 2006 10:12 pm 
empire
Official Mainah

i ran this story by some teens early this morning at a local boxing gym that come in at 4am to train out..before they go to school at the high school and junior high. they would like to spar with a 19 year old who 'goes crazy' fighting with a 47 year old man.

Post Fri 07 Apr, 2006 6:34 am 
tumbleweed
Official Mainah

empie
There is a big difference between sparing with boxing gloves on and street fighting. Laughing

Boxers usually have big egos so their comments aren't a big surprise.

Post Fri 07 Apr, 2006 6:44 am 
empire
Official Mainah

these kids almost always start off street fighting before they attempt to be the next marvin hagler.

Post Fri 07 Apr, 2006 7:06 am 
empire
Official Mainah

July 6, 2006
..What followed was a "free-for-all," with the younger and powerfully built Dusty Pinkham quickly gaining the upper hand....at one point the 47 years old Beane said "I am done," apparently trying to end the fight,
But 19 year old Dusty Pinkham, who is 6-foot-1 and weighs about 215 pounds, according to court documents, continued to hit Beane until the older man fell and struck his head on the sidewalk or street. .Pinkham, 19, was sentenced Wednesday to serve 21/2 years in the state prison for the beating death of Blaine Beane, 47

......2 1/2 years later...

January 15, 2009
IN ANSON, Thursday at 12:10 a.m., Dusty Pinkham, 22, of Moscow, arrested in North Anson on charges of burglary, assault, criminal speed and failure to stop for a police officer

Post Thu 15 Jan, 2009 6:07 pm 

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> General Maine Discussions