FAQFAQ
   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
#1 In Identity Theft Protection

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> The Great Maine Outdoors

Fishing season

Author    Thread
Chub Fisherman
Official Pissant

Fishing season

Remember folks,
Only 11 days before fishing season starts! I'll be chub fishing before you know it.
And I can't wait for the bug season!
The more black flies and misquitos, the better the fish population. More food for the fish=bigger fish & less fisherman.
The best part of the bugs is that it forces all the wanna-bee outdoors people inside. The only way they can handle the bugs in under layers of bug netting outfits which are only for the pathetic outdoorman.
I want to say that growing up in northern Maine,yes that means above Bangor, I spent countless hours fishing trout brooks you could step over, that are filled with brookies. With a little stealth, you could get the big boys that startled easy to come out from under those overhangs and root wells that all small streams posses. Many, many times I returned home with a stringer full of brookies no smaller than 9". While some of you may not be impressed, these fish came out of brooks that most would not fish.
I read an article by John Holyoke of the Bangor Daily News a year or so ago, where he talked with an "expert" about the destructive nature of the beaver dams to trout brooks. What a bunch of hogwash! Every stream I have fished that had a beaver dam in it was a sure bet for big trout. The article's point was that it caused the streams to warm up to a point where trout couldn't live. Well, to a degree the water does warm up, but only on the top. If you have ever wade fished(in old sneakers and jeans) you can feel the thermocline where there is warm water on top and ice cold oxygen rich water on the bottom. The trout Love it. Fish early or late. They are there. Be quite, thats the key.
Great, thanks a lot folks. All this talk about back woods brook fishing has got me worked up. I'm salivating for those dark woods brooks, the decaying fern and moss smells filling the air, and that beautiful hum of the blackflies and misquitoes in my ears. Yes, indeeeeeeeed!
Chub Very Happy

Post Tue 21 Mar, 2006 8:21 am 
tumbleweed
Official Mainah

Chub Fisherman

The fishing is a bit slow up here the first month. Usually you have to wade through the snow to get to the brooks. The lakes usually still have ice on them. Mr. Green

Post Tue 21 Mar, 2006 9:37 am 
RC
Mosquito

The smelt run up north (Millinocket) used to be a lot. That is probably a month out.

Post Tue 21 Mar, 2006 9:08 pm 
Chub Fisherman
Official Pissant

MMMMM...Smelting....good times.

Post Fri 24 Mar, 2006 8:37 am 
Dale
Wanna-be Mainah

I've never been fishing... well that's not completely true if you count the time I did it at a stocked pond that was part of a park. You paid your fee and you got a pole and bait... dunk it in the water and 10 seconds later you had your fish. I think the fish were either starved so that they'd go after anything tossed in or their was so many in the pond that they were willign to take death over staying behind.

I should really try the real thing some day

Post Sat 25 Mar, 2006 8:44 am 
Chub Fisherman
Official Pissant

You really should. It's one of the best past times. 50% is about being outside, the other half is catching the fish.

My first fish I caught was about 6" in length, which I caught a a rest area near Ashland Me. The brook was 4' across but full of little brookies. My dad did the old "line and pole" and it was just a straight 7 foot birch pole with a piece of line on it. Add a hook and a worm, and I've been hooked for life. Each time I go fishing, that first few nibbles is exciting to me. It hasn't diminished at all over the years. It's what some would reckon to the effects some drugs have on them. I expect to fish until they put me into the ground. Hopefully, I'll be fishing when I drop dead, becuase thats the way I'd like to go.
So as you can see I would recommend going fishing.
I just don't want to hear any crying over the "bugs","weather", or "time a day". Just go it do it.
You''ll enjoy it. Very Happy

Post Sat 25 Mar, 2006 9:11 am 
tumbleweed
Official Mainah

Chub Fisherman

The brooks seem to be a bit of a challenge these days. I don't seem to have the same footing I used to have. Is it just me or are the alders getting thicker? Laughing

Post Sat 25 Mar, 2006 9:39 am 
Chub Fisherman
Official Pissant

Its age for sure, and lack of practice.
When I was a boy, my brothers and I would hunt partridges and rabbits with our BB guns with much success. It was easy seeing them because I think we were closer to the ground. Nowadays, I hunt with a shot gun, but can't see or shoot them as well, especially rabbits. When I was a kid, I could walk thru the woods like a mouse. Today, I feel and sound like Abrams Tank rolling thru the woods. Its hard to bend over to see under trees because my gut gets in the way.(damn gut) So, yes it may be a tad harder to fish the brooks, but thats where the nice ones are.
MMMMM again. I cant wait to be fishing.

Post Mon 27 Mar, 2006 7:24 am 
tumbleweed
Official Mainah

Chub Fisherman

I heard yesterday that they raised the mimimum length from 6in. to 8in.
Is that true? I havn't got the new regulations book yet.

If so, they just eliminated the best tasting fish that can be caught.

Post Tue 28 Mar, 2006 4:10 am 
Chub Fisherman
Official Pissant

No, it is still 6 inches. However on lakes and ponds in in the southern part the limit is 8". My little store I visit, gets the fishing regulations real early so I always grap one for each vehicle and tackle box.
I agree that the best tasting trout are the small ones. I know if you fish the streams you can catch hundreds of brook trout in old pools behind old beaver damns. I always keep the smallest ones to eat and would prefer them over the big boys. You drop them in to pan flip once then drop them whole right into your mouth. MMMMm.good stuff.
I believe that the fishing limit should be 5 trout any size. 99% of the fish I catch go right back in the drink. I only keep em if I'm going to eat them, and the fresher the better.
I cant wait.....can't talk...too excited.
Saturday is open season....I'm going to see if I can get a trout...doubtful, but I'm going to try.

Post Tue 28 Mar, 2006 7:45 am 
tumbleweed
Official Mainah

Chub Fisherman

Thanks.

Sounds like you have fishing fever. Laughing

Good luck

Post Tue 28 Mar, 2006 7:54 am 
Chub Fisherman
Official Pissant

4Days and counting! Cool

Post Tue 28 Mar, 2006 3:04 pm 
tumbleweed
Official Mainah

There are a few guys from town that go at midnight every year. You can see their tracks from the road. Laughing

Post Tue 28 Mar, 2006 3:09 pm 
tumbleweed
Official Mainah

Chub Fisherman

How did your first outing go? I hope you had better luck than I did. Laughing

Post Mon 03 Apr, 2006 5:58 am 
Chub Fisherman
Official Pissant

Two Brookies and many misses.
I brought friends with me which ended up spoiling the time. We had just got to my trout hole when one of my buddies wife called. Apparently she thought that fishing first day would only take a few minutes. Well by the sound coming from the other end, he had to get home. So we only got to fish my trout hole for a few minutes. But the good news is that they are biting!
Oh..they were only 6" in size.....good eating, but I threw them back. I alway do on my first fish of the year.

Post Mon 03 Apr, 2006 11:31 am 

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> The Great Maine Outdoors