FAQFAQ
   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
#1 In Identity Theft Protection

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> Website Suggestions & Feedback

Forum Rules... From this point on.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
True Mainah
Official Mainah

quote:
Originally posted by The Founder:
quote:
Originally posted by Essyllt:
Oh, I guess I never noticed that. I've heard the term "trolling" used a lot, but I don't know what that means.

"An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war."

See; Crit Van Tuyl

Post Fri 03 Mar, 2006 9:35 am 
Essyllt
Official Mainah

Ok, what does "spamming" mean? I just saw it used in a manner that I would not have thought aplicable.

I'm aware that it's sandwich meat, TM.

Post Fri 03 Mar, 2006 10:59 am 
Crit Van Tuyl
Lobstah

It seems some are new to forum rules. Could you please clarify "personal attacks"?

Post Fri 03 Mar, 2006 2:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Crit Van Tuyl
Lobstah

quote:
Originally posted by Essyllt:
Ok, what does "spamming" mean? I just saw it used in a manner that I would not have thought aplicable.

I'm aware that it's sandwich meat, TM.

Spamming is unwelcome advertising. Repeatedly posting the link to your website or links to products that you get a spiff on is also considered spamming. Signatures too can be considered spam if they include the above linking or advertising.

Post Fri 03 Mar, 2006 2:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
HammerForMaineGovernor
Lobstah

I think that this forum is getting quite sophisticated, and just from my perspective seems to be really ramping up in that regard in a relatively short period of time (maybe because we're all been tested, it sure isn't easy). Anyway, I'd like to (politely) disagree with that post above definition of spamming, in regard to link to a website. I'll have to read the forum's rules again to see what is or is not included, but to my mind (and it's not my forum) the key is relevance. Does what is being posted (or linked) add to the value of the discussion and forum or detract from it. I'm sure that there are many additional ways to look at it. My personal motto, which hopefully does have some relevance and value here (I think it does) otherwise I shouldn't be posting it, of "Don't look for trouble, don't run from trouble" identifies also the fact that one should never be a bully because there are always bigger bullies out there, and one will get set into place, and also the interesting phenomenon that it is that those who are the most bullying that complain about being bullied the most. I'd like to apologize if I was ever too assertive. I believe that a good end has come out of things to this point, and I am hopeful that that can continue. The last line of thought that I'd like to say now is that I believe the Internet is an incredibly powerful force, and because of that, a lot of rules will have to be written in a lot of different ways. This type of growth evidenced here, and being on the cutting edge, is also what I envision for Maine. That is why (unlike some who have asked me) I don't consider this a waste of a candidate's time, but instead a productive and valuable endeavor. If people in this forum can get along (still remains to be seen, may not happen) then anything in life almost may seem more possible. Thank you very much.

Post Fri 03 Mar, 2006 3:06 pm 
PaulaJane
Moose

Bump Me...

Thank you True Mainah for answering my question with the same words that the Founder answered your question. Laughing Which was: What does bumping mean. So folks...here's the answer...

Originally posted by True Mainah:
I asked the same question.
When someone posts a new topic, and nobody has replies to it , it moves down in the list of posts. When a person responds to his/her own post to get it back to the top of the list they are bumping it.

Aww shucks...I feel so educated. Thanks dudes!
Now I see that I have been doing a super lot of 'bumping' since I logged back on because I've been reading all the smut that I have missed, AND RESPONDING TO IT. heehee Rolling Eyes

Post Fri 03 Mar, 2006 6:40 pm 
Crit Van Tuyl
Lobstah

quote:
Originally posted by HammerForMaineGovernor:
I'd like to (politely) disagree with that post above definition of spamming, in regard to link to a website. I'll have to read the forum's rules again to see what is or is not included, but to my mind (and it's not my forum) the key is relevance. Does what is being posted (or linked) add to the value of the discussion and forum or detract from it. I'm sure that there are many additional ways to look at it.

Mr. Hammer,

I have many websites and been online since 1993. Spam as a term was invented in the early days to describe unwanted advertisements that would be posted over and over, forcing people to see the message. In the begining it was Usenet News and then emails. With the popularity of forums it has been adapted to include posters who via either posts, replies or signatures broadcast the same advertisement. Your signature includes an advertisement and linking to a site other than this one and it is not personal in nature. That meets all criteria of advertisment and spam.

Resource: http://www.mailexpire.com/whatisspam.php

In the end what is allowed is determined by the sites owner.

Post Fri 03 Mar, 2006 8:19 pm 
HammerForMaineGovernor
Lobstah

Sometimes I feel that you may feel that you own this forum and can speak for The Founder or the forum members collectively.

1. Signatures are a recognized entity allowed on this forum. As such, your attempts to discredit are incorrect. That is one reason why I said the spirit and the letter of the law and your attempt to bend things to your continuing purposes (I wouldn't complain if we BOTH got banned because I have a lot else to do).

2. You are in the Internet business (I was as well in a different area) but you don't know everything. Even if you provide a link here and there, it is not convincing to provide opinions as facts.

Alex

Post Fri 03 Mar, 2006 8:31 pm 
Crit Van Tuyl
Lobstah

OMG...you are dense. Do a google search on spam yourself. Its not my opinion, it is an estabilshed,commonly held understanding. I provided a link to a well known resource that clearly defines SPAM. This is one such reason I can state you are way out of reality, misinformed or both.

Just because you want things a certain way does not make them so no matter how much you wish for them or compliment people Alex... Rolling Eyes

Figure out the emoticons yet? And you were going to offer web services... Shocked

Scary

Post Fri 03 Mar, 2006 11:55 pm 
HammerForMaineGovernor
Lobstah

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Sat 04 Mar, 2006 12:00 am 
Essyllt
Official Mainah

quote:
Originally posted by Crit Van Tuyl:
It seems some are new to forum rules. Could you please clarify "personal attacks"?

According to Wikipedia...
Personal attack - attacking the person presenting the argument or assertion rather than the argument itself.

Post Sat 04 Mar, 2006 6:25 pm 
The Founder
Forum Governor

Personal attacks to me are the types of comments that are just mean-spirited. To criticize what someone has said in a strong or in a hostile manner. Example could be calling someone an idiot just because they posted something you don't agree with.

That's it... if someone thinks that I should include something else then they can bring it to my attention. I said that I didn't want this to turn into a mushy kind of forum where everyone sings the same tune. If you want that then you'll have to go elsewhere.

As for BUMPING... No PaulaJane... what you're doing is NOT bumping a thread. Bumping a thread would be if you posted something and because no one was responding to it you posted another message to move it to the top. What you're doing is just going through all the old messages that you missed. No problem there.

Post Sat 04 Mar, 2006 8:17 pm 
Essyllt
Official Mainah

I didn't what it meant, so I looked it up.

Post Sat 04 Mar, 2006 8:44 pm 
The Founder
Forum Governor

quote:
Originally posted by Crit Van Tuyl:
Your signature includes an advertisement and linking to a site other than this one and it is not personal in nature. That meets all criteria of advertisment and spam.

I don't classify what Hammer is doing as spam. He has kept it to a minimum of a link and his email address. If someone had a legitimate business and they wanted to include it in their sig I wouldn't have a problem with that either as long as they were active. Spam to me would be posting threads with links, but a tasteful signature isn't a problem and not something I'm worried about.

Post Sat 04 Mar, 2006 9:26 pm 
HammerForMaineGovernor
Lobstah

The Internet is such a powerful community (set of communities I should say) and force. I think The Founder has done an amazing job formulating and articulating these rules. A lot of thought has gone into them and it seems to me that a lot of fair balances have been struck between competing interests. I probably won't be posting as much if I can't do as many relevant links, but I had been pushing a little so I do understand that. I like the fact that someone quoted Wikipedia. Politicians, and the rest of society, are just in the infancy I believe of understanding and utilizing the power of online forums and the Internet. Things will be evolving and being adopted rapidly I believe once a core public recognition has taken place, and that will be very exciting (and perhaps scary for some) when that occurs. I had thought that this election might largely be decided by online mediums (at least a more significant part) but I don't think there is enough public awareness yet, or maybe it's just Maine. Adoptions of things are generally slower than people expect (although TV sure caught Nixon by surprise in his famous TV debate with JFK).

Post Sun 05 Mar, 2006 9:13 am 

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> Website Suggestions & Feedback