FAQFAQ
   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
#1 In Identity Theft Protection

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> Website Suggestions & Feedback

Forum Rules... From this point on.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
The Founder
Forum Governor

Forum Rules... From this point on.

Over the last few days I have had some members provide some feedback on the forum. After considering what was being said I have to agree that the forum is/was heading in a direction I didn't want. I'm not looking to make a complete 180 to a forum where everyone supports each other and is touchy feely, but it has gotten quite abusive at times. I do want to encourage growth on the site and I agree with the members who provided feedback that this will help.

As of this moment... there are clear posted rules in each forum area. If anyone has any questions or feedback on them I am all ears, but post it here in this thread.

Post Thu 02 Mar, 2006 1:30 pm 
Crit Van Tuyl
Lobstah

I could not agree more. Very Happy

Post Thu 02 Mar, 2006 9:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
True Mainah
Official Mainah

Hey Founder,,, I have an idea for your forum.
Since the name of this forum is "The Voice of Maine" it is only fitting that Maine people, as well as people from Maine, have the opportunity to let their voices be heard.
I'd like to suggest a democratic way of keeping the "Crits and Bloods" under control.
Let them serve a probationary period. At the end of their probation, we set up a Poll thread, and vote on weather forum membership will/will not, be granted to them.
This will keep the "Voice of Maine" in the hands of people who actually care about Maine and its people. It will also help keep out the riff-raff without making The Founder look like the bad guy.
Whaddya think? Wink

Post Thu 02 Mar, 2006 10:46 pm 
times
Lobstah

quote:
Originally posted by True Mainah:
Let them serve a probationary period. At the end of their probation, we set up a Poll thread, and vote on weather forum membership will/will not, be granted to them.

I have tenants who I'm about ready to evict who showed up 3 months ago and were the most polite and respectful people I've met in a long time. I thought I had really hit a home run with these 4, but I was wrong. Now that they've moved in and nested everything has gone to hell. My point is that everyone will be on their best behavior for the probation period then when it goes to hell Founder will still have to ban them. Might as well just let them do whatever they want and ban them if they get out of line. Screw the probabtion period.

Anyway, nice rules. Is it just me or was today really quiet around here? Seems like nothing got out of hand from what I'm reading Smile

Post Thu 02 Mar, 2006 11:07 pm 
Essyllt
Official Mainah

The Founder is the founder...who should feel the hurt but him? Wink

Post Thu 02 Mar, 2006 11:57 pm 
True Mainah
Official Mainah

quote:
Originally posted by times:
quote:

I have tenants who I'm about ready to evict who showed up 3 months ago and were the most polite and respectful people I've met in a long time. I thought I had really hit a home run with these 4, but I was wrong. Now that they've moved in and nested everything has gone to hell. My point is that everyone will be on their best behavior for the probation period then when it goes to hell Founder will still have to ban them. Might as well just let them do whatever they want and ban them if they get out of line. Screw the probabtion period.

Anyway, nice rules. Is it just me or was today really quiet around here? Seems like nothing got out of hand from what I'm reading Smile

Good point Times,,,we'll reserve the right to create a new poll whenever a Mainer feels it's necessary. Laughing

Essy be nice,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(please?) Very Happy

Post Fri 03 Mar, 2006 12:15 am 
funcpl
Mosquito

quote:
Originally posted by Essyllt:
The Founder is the founder...who should feel the hurt but him? Wink

That sounds deep and philosophical.

The rules are a nice addition. At least its clear whats allowed and whats not.

Post Fri 03 Mar, 2006 7:47 am 
Essyllt
Official Mainah

To the Founder, deep is where they can roll my body off the boat.

Post Fri 03 Mar, 2006 8:54 am 
True Mainah
Official Mainah

quote:
To the Founder, deep is where they can roll my body off the boat.

Your body?
You ill?
What boat? I don't get it.

Post Fri 03 Mar, 2006 9:00 am 
Essyllt
Official Mainah

never mind

I have no idea what some of those rules mean. What is "bumping a post"?

Post Fri 03 Mar, 2006 9:05 am 
True Mainah
Official Mainah

I asked the same question.
When someone posts a new topic, and nobody has replies to it , it moves down in the list of posts. When a person responds to his/her own post to get it back to the top of the list they are bumping it.

Post Fri 03 Mar, 2006 9:16 am 
The Founder
Forum Governor

quote:
I asked the same question.
When someone posts a new topic, and nobody has replies to it , it moves down in the list of posts. When a person responds to his/her own post to get it back to the top of the list they are bumping it.

You know.. I taught him that. Wink

Anyone else got any other questions?

Post Fri 03 Mar, 2006 9:19 am 
Essyllt
Official Mainah

Oh, I guess I never noticed that. I've heard the term "trolling" used a lot, but I don't know what that means.

Post Fri 03 Mar, 2006 9:21 am 
True Mainah
Official Mainah

quote:
Oh, I guess I never noticed that. I've heard the term "trolling" used a lot, but I don't know what that means.

Thats when you go really slow in a boat and tow a fishing lure behind you. Laughing

Post Fri 03 Mar, 2006 9:29 am 
The Founder
Forum Governor

quote:

"An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war."

Post Fri 03 Mar, 2006 9:31 am 

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> Website Suggestions & Feedback