FAQFAQ
   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
#1 In Identity Theft Protection

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> Around The Water Cooler

Could I Ask a Question Please?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
Haley
Mosquito

Could I Ask a Question Please?

This is not earth shattering or anything like that. It has to do with radio and why they do certain things. In this case it's WVOM in Bangor. For those of you who don't really know much about radio, WVOM is a super powerhouse among the FM Radio Stations in the USA. It operates on 100,000 Watts of power. This is enough to send a listenablle signal into Canada from their transmitter location outside of Bangor.

Anyway, they recently started up with another power house station in Augusta where they broadcast mostly what you hear on WVOM except for a few changes. Now my question is this: Why do they continue to carry the HOWIE CARR show from Boston, Mass when Howie has very little to say or do with the events in Maine and they run him live in what is called Afternoon Drive Time which is a high cost ad time.

Why do people listen to Howie when he talks mostly about the nonsense that is going on at Logan Internnational Airport, and what's happening on the toll roads and that the toll takers are getting about 90 thousand dollars in income, etc.

What the heck is Blueberrybroadcasing doing to be of value to Maine except with the Mornig Show? I am at the point where I refuse to do business with anyone who advertises on the station until the advertisters start to push their weight around and demand that WVOM and the other station in Augusta start up an afternoon drive that serves Maine instead of Boston.

Sadly, WVOM is the only station I care to listen to and that's a very sad commentary about radio in the Downeast area. I don't know what they're doing in Portland. Ok, I'm done. Thanks for listening. Shocked

Post Sat 16 May, 2009 3:26 pm 
Miss Information
Mosquito

Its all about ratings and how well they're doing in the markets they're in. If it wasn't going well in the ratings the show would vanish. I think this is the best they can do for local in that time slot without hiring people to do a show. I can only imagine how much it would cost to produce a live show with really good talent.

Post Mon 18 May, 2009 6:36 am 
Haley
Mosquito

First let me say, What a precious name, Miss Information. Smile That is so, so cute! I would like to answer that I seriously doubt that Howie Carr show gets good ratings. Have you ever seen any ratings out on Bangor radio? It costs money to have these ratings made and if they ratings are not good advertisers would turn away.

As far as cost to do a local show...I remember back when a guy from San Diego, California came out to Maine and bought WVOM. His name was Jerry, don't recall his last name. Anyway, during the 1998 Ice Storm Jerry served the area by broadcasting important and up to the minute information from all the services involved in getting power back on. I mean, it was an award winning operation then. In fact, WVOM got awards for the service they provided. WVOM has not done anything like this since to my knowledge. I hope someone would prove me wrong.

I think the Howei Carr show does little if anything at all to ever get an award for excellent service to Maine. But, the morning show with George Hale and Ric Tyler ought to get an award for they do more of a srrvice to the community in one 3 hour segment than three stations put together, in my opinion.

I guess I am acting like a spoiled brat, but George Hale and Rick Tyler has to also take some blame for being so darn good at what they do for Maine.

Post Mon 18 May, 2009 10:37 am 
Haley
Mosquito

OK, here's a topic that I started that has seen about 100 plus views and only a couple of responses has come forth. At first I thought it was me. The way I write. The highly esteemed opinions I offer to the reader and of course the reader objected. Well I was wrong.

I beleive that the Conservatives cannot say anything now about their Voice of Maine. Why? It's because they are really sore losers. They lost the election to that upstart, Barak Obama, a kid who became President of the United States and went out and kicked Butt like GM, Chrysler, two of the worst US Businesses in US History.

The Conservatives like Sean Hannity, on WVOM, from 7-10 PM is an example of a poor, poor, poor loser. Loo-zer! Then, WVOM features Rush Limabaugh who is also a very, very large, well not so large now since he lost 65 pounds, L OOSER... They cannot stand the fact that OBAMA is doing so darn well.

Now, my questions is: Does WVOM have a large listening group like they had before? I am thinking their numbers are falling.

Post Sun 21 Jun, 2009 2:39 pm 
PaulaJane
Moose

Yeh, Obama is doing really well isn't he? It shouldn't take him long now to transform the US into the UN. Have you noticed how fast he is working? Heck, he even has thousands of pages of bills that he is demanding they be passed without anyone reading them. He is awesome!!! What a way to go!!! We are so fortunate that he got elected and is taking over our failing businesses. I remember when the government took over Amtrak "for 3 years" about 40 years ago. Amtrak never did good enough and was never successful enough for the government to sell them.

Post Sat 01 Aug, 2009 8:50 pm 
PaulaJane
Moose

Oh, sorry, I didn't answer the last question Haley. I don't know how well WVOM is doing because I no longer listen to the radio. Being deaf requires me to turn the volume up, and when I do that, my spouse can't hear the tv.
I think that this site, thevoiceofmaine doesn't really have anything to do with the radio station called the voice of maine.. Maybe it does, I guess the Founder could answer that one.

Post Sat 01 Aug, 2009 8:53 pm 
Haley
Mosquito

Hy, hey, Paula---does it remind you of a song. Anyway, Paula, is this a revival of an old message posted back in June? It seems so long ago. Geez. Anyway, Paula, I have had some life changes for the better.

I have stopped listening to the radio too, as you have, but not for the same reason. You have a man who watches TV, something I have not connected up and don't intend to. I mean, why ought I fill my head with garbage? You know, garbage in garbage out. Besides, when I walk around my town in Downeast Maine I look at houses with Dish Network, or the other one and generally the house needs some repairs, but how can they get done when the man is stuffed inside getting fat watching Dish Network?

Also, Paula, I have decided that I no longer want or choose to have radio people implant their ideas into my thinking. So, I fired them all. I watch what I want to on the Internet. I like Americas got talent, and Britain's Got talent, and other videos off YouTube. I watch some Johnny Carson clips and Jim Carrey, and stuff like that.

ha ha ha, how do you like me now?

Post Sun 02 Aug, 2009 6:24 am 
frightened inmate #2
From Away

I agree... Howie Carr is annoying!

Maybe they just don't have any other options for that time slot that's any better. as for local I doubt to many people could pull off doing a interesting talk show 5 days a week. Local is also much more expensive the streaming something over a satellite.

BTW... The guy who had the station in 1998 was Jerry Evans.

Post Wed 05 Aug, 2009 7:32 pm 
PaulaJane
Moose

Ah, yes Haley, I grew up with hey hey Paula and my other favorite was norman by Sue Thompson.. remember that song? Well, I married Norman. haha

Post Wed 05 Aug, 2009 10:29 pm 
Haley
Mosquito

Hey, Frightened Inmate, got your message and I have to post it to remind me of what you said. Here is you message:

>>>>>Maybe they just don't have any other options for that time slot that's any better. as for local I doubt to many people could pull off doing a interesting talk show 5 days a week. Local is also much more expensive the streaming something over a satellite.

BTW... The guy who had the station in 1998 was Jerry Evans.<<<<<

I don't know what the problem is. And thank you so much from reminding me of Jerry Evans. I wonder if that was a radio name that he used when he worked for KFMB in San Diego?

Anyway, I just wanted to respond to the thing about doing a show to replace Howie Carr, but since I have left listening to radio, I have to tell you I don't have any interest anymore.

I have stopped listening to Conservative Talk Show altogether. You can't rely on the truth even when they take calls. The calls are screened and they ALL run a time delay so they can CENSOR what goes over the air. Yes, they do it at WVOM. Why listen to that crap? I'm done with them.

Thanks so much, Inmate for your response too.

Oh, by the way, I ran into Representitive Perry the other day. She is a nice lady. I like her. She lets you talk to her and she doesn't shout you down if you if you disagree with her.

Post Thu 06 Aug, 2009 11:58 am 
Haley
Mosquito

You grew up with hey, hey, Paula? You must be a sweet little old lady? Notice that is a question not that I know anything at all.

I like some of the old songs, but not many of them. I like music that actually does something for the brain such as music recorded at 432 Hz, and Theta music that is recorded for the THETA brain frequencies.

Post Thu 06 Aug, 2009 12:01 pm 
frightened inmate #2
From Away

quote:
Originally posted by Haley:
I wonder if that was a radio name that he used when he worked for KFMB in San Diego?

I believe it was his real name.

quote:
Originally posted by Haley:
I have stopped listening to Conservative Talk Show altogether. You can't rely on the truth even when they take calls. The calls are screened and they ALL run a time delay so they can CENSOR what goes over the air. Yes, they do it at WVOM. Why listen to that crap? I'm done with them.

Any radio station would be foolish to not have a time delay when taking calls. The fines are quite expensive these days and there are plenty of examples that have been made whenever something deemed offensive by the FCC has made it over the airwaves.

Post Sat 08 Aug, 2009 8:27 am 
Haley
Mosquito

What kind of stuff makes it on the air that is offensive to the FCC? Oh, I know what is offensive to the FCC---FREEDOM OF SPEECH!

All I know is that I see Letterman telling millions of people on a TAPED DELAY show that some baseball player raped a young girl and the young girl just happened to be Sara Palin's dagger, and Letterman laughed at the situation where a woman got raped at a baseball park, then he previously calls Sara some derogatory name...I think he called her a slut.

Besides, they SCREEN Calls. If you do not pass their test, like on Howie Carr, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, you name 'em, you don't get on the air.

Please don't take this personally, but I think radio sucks big time Period and I just don't listen anymore. I got YOUTUBE, and all the radio stations on the INTERNET. I got three radio stations in my town and I think I have listened to them total time about 3 minutes, oh, maybe 10. They suck too.

Post Sat 08 Aug, 2009 9:20 am 
PaulaJane
Moose

I went on utube tonight to try and find the hmm I think it was the LA town hall meeting... Guess there was a 'black African American' that got beat up and sent to the hospital.. Trying to find it and haven't been able to. Sad
Mr Obama heard about all of the grassroots going to the town meetings and fighting for their right to choose their own healthcare ins, etc.. and downing bo's government takeover.. so he sent his SEIC and ACORN to the meetings to "hit them back twice as hard" or something like that.. Anyway, since they started attending the town hall meetings, a few fights have started.

Post Sun 09 Aug, 2009 1:16 am 
Haley
Mosquito

Times are changing. We are passing away from dog-eat-dog world of what we have seen in the USA since its conception. I know that the founders of the country had good intentions, but look what happened so far. So let's turn the page and say goodbye to the past and embrace the future.

What is the future. It means that We are our brothers keeper. This is the age of the brotherhood of man. It means that every person alive on planet earth ought to have adequate health care because it is in the means of this world society to support that kind of operation.

There is absolutely no reason why we have people starving to death on this planet, or why there is such a thing as a dictator system like in Cuba and North Korea. These are systems that will be taken out by nature. Yes, nature will take out these systems of dictators and also these dictatorial nature of religion will also be taken out by nature.

Yes, there will most likely be a blood bath and millions will die. No age ever goes out without somebody getting killed. Why did humans ever get this far is beyond my understanding.

Post Sun 09 Aug, 2009 9:04 am 

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> Around The Water Cooler