FAQFAQ
   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
#1 In Identity Theft Protection

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> Around The Water Cooler

We need a new vehicle.

Author    Thread
ET1(SS)
Official Pissant

We need a new vehicle.

We need a new vehicle.

I was having problems with our Buick station wagon, it was just feeling old and worn-out. This fall the car's computer died. Then with the first cold spell the defroster cracked the windshield, and then the first of December the air blower died. Then this winter rodents made a nest in the muffler. It has always been hard to warm-up in the cold weather, but a couple of times it has blown out nest materials and roasted nuts out the tailpipe. Finally a few weeks ago on the freeway the exhaust manifold pipe to the muffler blew out a chunk. Likely from too much back pressure. A junkyard offered me $100 for it, right now it is encased in ice and snow. This spring I will likely drive it to the junkyard.

My DW's saab's heater died about the tenth of December. A mechanic told us that to diagnose it, he will have to remove the dash board, he may never get it to fit back in correctly. The dealership said that while they could safely remove and re-install the dashboard, they would have to pull the dash, pull the heater duct-work and the block core, before they would be able to diagnose the problem. Diagnosing the heater's problem may total the car, fixing the heater would most certainly cost more than the car's blue book value. So we drive with our gloves on.

We need a new vehicle.

We have been batting it around for the past couple months. A pick-up, a station wagon, a sedan, I would like a diesel, she would like an electric, etc.

We have been watching the Smart-USA cars and rather drooling over them.

Today we had yet another long discussion about cars, and we got into comparing the Chevy Aveo, the KIA Rio, the Honda Fit, and the Toyota Yaris.

I think that my DW has decided that she wants a Chevy Aveo. She wants to go into the city and talk with a Chevy dealership.

Maine Organic Farmers and Gardener Fair

Post Fri 25 Jan, 2008 5:20 pm 
empire
Official Mainah

Re: We need a new vehicle.

quote:
Originally posted by ET1(SS):
We need a new vehicle.

Today we had yet another long discussion about cars, and we got into comparing the Chevy Aveo, the KIA Rio, the Honda Fit, and the Toyota Yaris.

I think that my DW has decided that she wants a Chevy Aveo. She wants to go into the city and talk with a Chevy dealership.

Stay away from the Aveo. ConsumerReports called it the worse fuel efficient vehicle one could buy. Stay away from Chevys with the exception of the Impala. Impalas although rather plain inside for a 20th century car,seem to be a good used car. Stay away from Kias , i have seen plenty of 2,3 year old KIAs on the road and they look like 15 year old vehicles. Forget trucks:$3 a gallon for one reason,$5 a gallon for another reason. Also a set of truck tires are nearing $800 for 4. Hondas usually need preformance(H tires)----very expensive tires that wear out in 1 or 2 years.

Go with toyota,the cars dont break. In the wintertime buy a set of snow tires.
This post and its attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended readers, please immediately notify the poster and then delete this communication without reading it. Then have a lobotomy and have the post contents removed.

Post Fri 01 Feb, 2008 11:11 pm 
ET1(SS)
Official Pissant

Re: We need a new vehicle.

quote:
Originally posted by empire:

Stay away from the Aveo. ConsumerReports called it the worse fuel efficient vehicle one could buy.

Really?

36 MPG is that bad hmm?

Post Sat 02 Feb, 2008 12:41 am 
empire
Official Mainah

thats advertised,,,did ya buy already
This post and its attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended readers, please immediately notify the poster and then delete this communication without reading it. Then have a lobotomy and have the post contents removed.

Post Sat 02 Feb, 2008 8:25 am 
ET1(SS)
Official Pissant

My wife bought one and that was what she got at her first re-fill, was 36MPG.

Post Sat 02 Feb, 2008 10:40 am 
Roadrat
From Away

Pick up a good used 2wd 4 cyc (duel plug version if they still make it)Ford ranger, the engine never died on the one I had, It will haul a decent load and in the winter a pair of studded snow tires and 4 cinder blocks will get you thru some pretty bad weather, there good on gas too.
The plain jane versions are very reasonably priced.

bill

Post Sun 10 Feb, 2008 1:54 pm 
Vizzini
Lobstah

I have a nuclear powerd riding lawn mower for sale (?). However, the radio does not work.

Post Thu 21 Feb, 2008 5:35 pm 

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> Around The Water Cooler