FAQFAQ
   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
#1 In Identity Theft Protection

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> Politics

Social Security

Author    Thread
PaulaJane
Moose

Social Security

From the Washington Times Insider......

By Martin Crutsinger
ASSOCIATED PRESS
From the Business section
JACKSON, Wyo. -- Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan said yesterday that the country will face "abrupt and painful" choices if Congress does not move quickly to trim the Social Security and Medicare benefits that have been promised to the baby boom generation.
Returning to a politically explosive issue that he has addressed a number of times this year, Mr. Greenspan said that it was wrong for the government to hold out the promise of more retirement benefits than it is capable of providing.
He said this issue was particularly critical given the impending retirement of 77 million baby boomers born in the two decades after World War II.
"As a nation, we owe it to our retirees to promise only the benefits that can be delivered," Mr. Greenspan said in opening remarks at a two-day conference sponsored by the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City on the challenges posed by aging populations.
"If we have promised more than our economy has the ability to deliver, as I fear we may have, we must recalibrate our public programs so that pending retirees have time to adjust through other channels," Mr. Greenspan said. "If we delay, the adjustments could be abrupt and painful."
Mr. Greenspan, as he has done previously, suggested that one potential fix would be again raising the retirement age to receive full Social Security benefits, which currently is being gradually increased from 65 to 67. Mr. Greenspan has said perhaps retirement age should be continually adjusted as life expectancies increase.
The looming crisis in Social Security and Medicare has received little attention in the presidential race, although the programs will likely present the next president with painful choices.
Neither President Bush nor Democratic presidential candidate Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts has offered a detailed prescription for bringing sufficient money into the program.
Mr. Bush favors giving younger workers the option of putting part of their payroll tax into personal retirement accounts, in return for smaller Social Security benefits, or staying with the Social Security system.Mr. Kerry opposes that plan for partial privatization. He says the way to strengthen Social Security is to "grow the economy, create jobs and increase revenues into the program."

It makes me realize that I should do something about our/my future... but that takes money...As we struggle to make ends meet. This is so discouraging...Oh well......Sorry, I reckon life is tough for everyone eh?

So grin Smile and bear it eh?

On the paper that we get each year from Social Security, my husband will get more each month than he does now...working 40 hrs a week. Lately though, his place of work has been taking turns sending their employees home early, and giving them a day off (a day they don't need) without pay of course.

Post Sat 28 Aug, 2004 6:41 pm 

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> Politics