FAQFAQ
   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
#1 In Identity Theft Protection

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> General Maine Discussions

confidential financial Fairpoint testimony to the Maine PUC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Author    Thread
nascar88
From Away

Through all "the entertainment with kennebec"... I tried to express my opinions as I know them to be fact and hope you were able to see a logical view both financially and technically... I wish more had participated, as this will, in one way or another, affect us all. Lets not get left behind...

DSL is an outdated internet access technology in the industry. Its like putting a patch on an old tire...it will get you by, but... Not long ago, most homes had second telephone lines dedicated to dial-up internet access. Today most of these lines have been disconnected or traded for DSL or CATV access. Dail-up(64Kbps) became the whipping boy of DSL(3Mbps)and today DSL is the whipping boy of FIBER(100Mbps). DSL (3Mbps),CATV(10Mbps) and FIBER(100Mbps) are all technologies offered to the home, if the network can support it. The current copper based telephone network can only bundle voice and limited data, CATV and FIBER networks can bundle voice, data and video on demand services.

The goal in todays information age, is to be on the fastest data platform possible. Fairpoint cannot afford FIBER. Fairpoint is promising DSL to the "last pole in Maine". AARP data shows 85% of the state of Maine, already have access to the internet by either DSL(3Mbps) or CATV(10Mbps). A study released this past summer said 40 % of the income earned in Maine was generated around Portland, not the Alagash. If the MOST of Maine is to remain competitive, this state will need to be developing towards FIBER not DSL. Page 24 of the Hearing Examiners report to the MPUC states, that one of the key ojectives for Verizon was to eliminate or minimize the tax consequences through a complicated tax code called The Reverse Morris Trust. Because of this condition, other more suitable companies were not considered. This state does not need the DSL detour or the only buyer intown, because of tax considerations for Verizon. I believe grass root efforts can work. So I urge people to contact thier legislative representitives, and ask them to contact the governor and ask him to protect the consumer and support stopping this sale... From financial and technical perspectives,this sale is not the right sale for our state... check this article, in The Portland Phoenix based on confidential MPUC testimony about Fairpoint's financial model ... » http://thephoenix.com/article_ektid51485.aspx

Post Wed 05 Dec, 2007 4:45 pm 
Kennebec
Mosquito

And as I have said before others started passing around insults, forcing Verizon to provide that technology when they do not want to is not in anyone's interest.

Nascar88 I asked you this point before and you had to admit that it is a future technology but now you state it as if it is currently available (your use of the term "offered" vs. "could be offered in the future":

First we have

quote:
I tried to express my opinions as I know them to be fact
and then it you follow with...

quote:
FIBER(100Mbps) are all technologies offered to the home, if the network can support it.

Can you tell me where 100MB fiber speeds are currently "offered" to the home? Should you amend your statement back to your earlier clarification or is 100MB now offered when it wasn't in the last week? Your statement could be interpreted as mis-leading. The question of course is rhetorical.

This is my last post on this topic. Pass along the insults knowing full well that I will not respond to them. Fair game, have fun and take your best shots...

Post Wed 05 Dec, 2007 5:18 pm 
nascar88
From Away

Cool ...thank you...Merry Christmas !!!

Post Wed 05 Dec, 2007 10:28 pm 
nascar88
From Away

Regulate the monoply. Communications are essential more today, than ever before. Who ever thought people would do more than talk on the telephone? Today voice is secondary. Not long ago most homes had a 2nd telephone line dedicated to internet access. Today those 2nd lines have been traded for DSL or CATV connections. The internet has become a necessity in todays home. As data/communication platforms become more advanced people will use more and more data. Technology is written for the day...Not the yesterday... Todays FIBER OPTIC platforms provide it all... thousands of high definition videos on demand, high defiinition interactive video conferencing to as many people as one would want, appointments from home, infinite internet speeds up and down, work from home,etc.. Imagine communicating to people live time, using high definition interactive video. How nice would it be for a family to see thier soldier, father, mother, brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother at Christmas, on thier birthday, anniversary... possibilities are endless. 21st century technologies are just beginning to emerge. Who knows what tommorrow will bring. I want to be there...I think the government needs to regulate the monoply and enforce advancements in technology for all. Contact the governor let him know what you think.

Post Mon 10 Dec, 2007 6:57 pm 
Kennebec
Mosquito

quote:
Originally posted by Publius(on another forum):
We are all of course getting very tense right now. Each one of us has our own reasons to be nervous about the outcome, and to be cynical at the same time. While I've always felt it was even odds for us to win this battle, I have always realized that at the very end there was going to be a lot of scrambling.

quote:
Originally posted by Nascar88(on another forum):
PENSION PLAN FOR Fairpoint Communications, Inc.
Shares for Stock Options
0.0 Million .... I think the million was suppose to make the zero sound good Smile

I will stay true to not posting about Verizon vs. Fairpoint technology. Can't help but point out that I called this in the beginning as a Union issue, not a technology issue.

Nascar88, are you worried about your pension or your kids being able to play online games?

Publius, are you a Maine citizen?

Post Thu 13 Dec, 2007 8:16 pm 
Otter04256
Wanna-be Mainah

Kennebec, are you for real? I don't get what you are driving at, but it looks like you are driving in some kinda endless anti-union loop. What do you think about the ridiculous CEO salaries taking place in your free market? Yet you want the men and women who actually do the work to refrain from excercising their rights in the same free market? What is it? Did you get turned away from a union because you were too inept to do the job? I am not union by the way. For you to boil this deal into one simple unprovable fact, that the only bad thing about the deal is the union stance, is a dimwitted simplistic approach to a very complex issue. You are obviously a neoconvict I mean neoconservative, and I know you hate the fact that Bald-Archie just endorsed Billary, so why do you side with Baldy on the approval of Fairpoint? He may not be standing up and disclosing it, but he has some uncomfortably close ties with the Fairpoint lobbyists, and Baldy has also helped to stack the regulators on the side of Fairpoint. And you Kenny have the audacity to blame my anger at this deal on the unions. Ken - go read some facts I posted on here, between my ridicule of your lame attacks on the facts that other folks have posted here. I know a heck of a lot more about Fairpoint than you do, and there is an even bigger gap between your lack of finance and my understanding of it. Once again, Fairpoint has a negative net worth, 75% leverage position, the stock is tanking, S&P give it the lowest rating out there, Morningstar has called it a distressed stock (on the verge of bankruptcy), negative retained earnings (they pay out more in dividends than they make ????), and the list goes on and on and on and . . . . . are you starting to grasp what I am saying? By helping support Fairpoints ridiculous bid to buy these lines, you are rewarding Verizon for treating us customers like crap for the past decade. You are in fact rewarding the unions you hate so much. How do you think a business with an empty piggy bank (Fairpoint) is going to be able to litigate a union strike when the contract comes due next year? Even if they went looking for replacements for those workers, there simply aren't any. So by supporting Fairpoint you are not breaking the union as you think, you are giving it much more sway over the future of telecom in NE. Your position on this deal is what is known as, a perverse one. No, not perverse like Larry Craig or George Bush and the Texas Mafia, perverse as in, your course of action defeats your own purpose. Look it up. While you are at it go read some of the PUC documents available online, and then look at FRP on the Yahoo Finance site. The Fairpoint financiers Morgan Stanley, Lehman Brothers, Bank of America, et al, are up to their butts in bad risky investments already, so guess what Fairpoint is gonna have to pay on that debt. Hell, I probably have a better rate on my credit cards.

Post Mon 17 Dec, 2007 1:03 pm 
Otter04256
Wanna-be Mainah

Since Fairpoint stock is tanking badly I am having a moment of compassionate liberalism, so Kennebec, this is not a slam or debate or somesuch. If you haven't read The River Why, by James David Duncan, you should. It ties spiritual stuff to fishing in a very funny but thought provoking way. Anyone can enjoy the story, but only fishermen get the inside kinda jokes. There is a lot of wisdom in it, no matter how anyone feels about Fairpoint or politics - heh.

Post Mon 17 Dec, 2007 5:26 pm 
Publius
Wanna-be Mainah

Otter, nascar... hows it going?

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” Ghandi

Post Tue 18 Dec, 2007 1:33 pm 
nascar88
From Away

hi Pub, Things are good. A little wait and see... Getting ready for Christmas, little last minute shopping. How are things with you? Looks like ole "Kenny" was LUNCH for someone. Do Otters eat FISH?... Cool

Otter, Awesome Post ....

This sale is wrong for so many HUGE reasons. I heard on the radio today in 2007 land lines decreased exponentially in favor of cell phones. This is the connection Fairpoint is trying to buy. This is the connection to our homes. Experts say, the current copper based network is dying at a rate of 4-7 % a year. Some experts predict by 2013 the copper land line will all but exist. Fairpoint and Verizon realize this. This is IMPORTANT TO US because... If this connection to our home was upgraded to FIBER to the home (FTTH). This connection could then provide dedicated advanced 21 century services to our homes. Imagine on demand interactive high definition video services, Video calls in High Definition, thousands of High Definition movie titles on demand, High Definition Broadcast Television on demand, Speed of Light internet access, electrically non conductive network, built like a spider web for redundancy especially important in an emergency, a land based network that intergrates to a cellular network seamlessly. I could go on and on about 21 century technologies that could be offered on a FIBER/CELLULAR based network... New England does not need the DSL detour. Call and write the governor, LET him know you are watching this smokey back room deal and this sale is not in the best interest of our state... NO SALE NO CONDITIONS... MPUC NEEDS TO REGULATE THE REGULATED PUBLIC UTILITY and ENFORCE ADVANCEMENTS IN TECHNOLOGY FOR ALL ... http://www.maine.gov/governor/baldacci/contact/citizen_services/share_views.html
governors telephone number 207-287-3531

Post Tue 18 Dec, 2007 5:45 pm 
Publius
Wanna-be Mainah

kennedork probably is intimidated by all of our violent text.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” Ghandi

Post Tue 18 Dec, 2007 6:28 pm 
nascar88
From Away

Took 6 long years...sale of Verizon to FairPoint was well forecasted.

wolves of wall street and corporate greed is tearing through another middle class group of employees.

Support striking FairPoint workers...Help us Fight Corporate Greed... this was and still is a bad deal for Maine.

Post Tue 18 Nov, 2014 3:47 pm 

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> General Maine Discussions