FAQFAQ
   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
#1 In Identity Theft Protection

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> General Maine Discussions

Scary statistics for Maine; please read and comment!

Did you know that Representative Mike Michaud (D - ME) voted in favor of Obama's healthcare plan, even though the clear majority of his constituents were against it?
Yes but that's OK. I want him to make decisions for me, not represent me.
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Yes. Throw the bum out of office.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No but that's OK. I want him to make decisions for me, not represent me.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No. Throw the bum out of office.
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

Author    Thread
PeterV
Wanna-be Mainah

Scary statistics for Maine; please read and comment!

Here are some Maine facts:
Population: 1,300,000
Residents on Medicare: 250,000
Residents on food stamps: 120,000
Residents on MaineCare (Maine Medicare): 270,000
Residents on TANF: ?????
Residents living at or below the poverty level: ?????

etc, etc

This is just the tip of the iceberg. If anyone wants to see some really horrifying facts, look over the 2009 "Maine Piglet Book"

http://www.mainepolicy.org/resources/media/203_291561623.pdf

Please read the warnings in this book about Government-run health plans. (Obama-Care, Maine Dirigo) and who bears the costs of these debacles.

Frankly, I'm more than a little surprised that Washington doesn't cede Maine to Canada or some other interested country, as we must be a liability to the union and certainly not an asset. We need people in Augusta to turn this around and get us back on the right track, if it's not too late already.

*sigh* "Calgon, take me away..."

Post Wed 24 Mar, 2010 4:12 pm 
chortle
From Away

use more calgon

use more calgon becuz from the great responce you got to your blatsphemy it shows everyone wishes you would go away - peddel your self ritcheous hate someplace Ls

Post Fri 26 Mar, 2010 6:11 pm 
PeterV
Wanna-be Mainah

That's what I expect, Chortle

from idiots like you. I can see from your spelling and grammar, you are either 6 years old or an idiot. Get an education before you subject the rest of humanity to your mindless dribble. Please!

Post Sat 27 Mar, 2010 5:05 am 
chortle
From Away

final results

i can always becum educated but you will always be a self rychous hate mongerer Go the phuck away turd brain!

Post Sat 27 Mar, 2010 7:36 am 
PeterV
Wanna-be Mainah

I apologise

for responding to you. I don't debate children. Come back in 15 years when you can speak in whole sentences. Have a nice day. LOL

Post Sat 27 Mar, 2010 7:14 pm 
tumbleweed
Official Mainah

Re: I apologise

quote:
Originally posted by PeterV:
for responding to you. I don't debate children. Come back in 15 years when you can speak in whole sentences. Have a nice day. LOL

So what is it you want to debate?

Post Sun 28 Mar, 2010 2:53 pm 
PeterV
Wanna-be Mainah

Not debate so much as discuss...

the state of the State. The bottom line is Maine is known to be business unfriendly. Forbes ranks Maine as being 46th, last time I checked, in terms of being "business friendly". I don't see Augusta doing anything but showing up for photo ops when a company does come to Maine. Augusta should be focused on bringing business and commerce into the state, for jobs. Taxes and prosperity will follow. Instead, look what they tried to do to Hollywood Slots in Bangor. They made a deal with Penn Gaming, construction and jobs followed. Then they tried to renege on the deal, which in my opinion was already generous for the State, and take a bigger cut. Penn call for a work stoppage and threatened to pull out if Maine didn't honor the agreement made, so the State backed down, and Hollywood Slots was created.

Look what Augusta has done. In my original post, I listed some scary statistics about the number of residents on some sort of public assistance. It's never been this bad. Yes the country is in the throes of a recession but this has been going on in Maine for many years.

The Bangor Daily News, a month or two ago printed an article. I wish I had kept it. I can't find it now, but it stated that in the last 10 years that the Democrats have been in charge, Maine's population has increased by 50,000-60,000. The net gain in jobs from 1999 to 2009 was 30. Thirty. And we keep electing the same people over and over again. Until a few years ago, I was registered as a Republican. However, I have not voted for 3 years now and consider myself an Independent. Republicans, Democrats, Independents, it doesn't matter. Our politicians are all the same. In my opinion, possibly corrupt and self-serving.

All the polls I've read, regarding Healthcare Reform, stated the majority of Mainers were opposed to it. Congressman Mike Michaud voted for it. How can that be? I thought we elected him to represent us, not make decisions for us, which is typical of Maine politicians. I guess they think we are too stupid to make our own decisions.

And they are not helping us. They are burying us. I know this is way too long, but I am frustrated that our residents haven't stood up and put an end to it.

For the past 10 years, I have gone to New Hampshire for the spring, summer and fall seasons, working in my field. I easily make more than twice the money there, doing the same exact thing, so I can afford to keep my house in Maine, and an apartment in New Hampshire, and still come out way ahead, opposed to working in Maine year around.

I see no changes forthcoming here. Thus, I am saddened to say I am moving soon, out of state for good. There are no opportunities here for my kids, unless they want to make a career in the service industry. We'll all be gone soon. I'm sure I am not the only one planning an exodus. Counting my whole family, Maine can kiss goodbye to another $300,00-$400,000 worth of taxable income per year.

Maine is in a death spiral. Already in the red, 40 Somali refugee families "adopted" in Lewiston, all on a free ride, including free housing, cable TV, new cars and more. MaineCare is out of control. Families are moving into Maine to take advantage of our free health care from across the country. Believe me, I know this to be true. I am acquainted with a family from Indiana that came here for that reason.

I could go on forever. OK, one last thing. Angus King, an alleged Independent proposed the Laptops for middle schoolers program and put it on a referendum, Twice. It was defeated both times. Mainers wanted no part of it. Yet, it was written in other legislation and passed anyway> Typical in Maine politics. That's one of the reasons I don't vote anymore. It just doesn't matter. I think voting is designed to make the public think they are in control, and participate in policy. But the fact is, it doesn't matter, as the ones with gold that make the rules, will always be in power.

OK, my ranting is over. I hope and pray "Chortle" doesn't read this this. His/her last response to my post was:

"i can always becum educated but you will always be a self rychous hate mongerer Go the phuck away turd brain!"

Chortle is a prime example of why my children are moving out of state. They have no interest in taking care of Chortle and his or her kids for the rest of their lives. They will have to depend on someone else for their free internet and Mainecare.

(I already warned my kids that no matter where they move, they will still be paying for Chortles foodstamps and Social Security, as those are federal programs) Last I heard, they are moving out of the country. Razz

Have a good day.

Post Mon 29 Mar, 2010 12:43 am 
chortle
From Away

unanswered prayer

cram it - UR wasting your time

Post Mon 29 Mar, 2010 10:43 am 
PeterV
Wanna-be Mainah

Congratulations!

You spelled everything correctly. You must have pulled an all-nighter for that, or did mommy help you? LOL Laughing

Post Mon 29 Mar, 2010 11:06 am 
tumbleweed
Official Mainah

I started reading the link in the OP but when I got to the part mentioning that "if TABOR would have passed" I took the opportunity to pass myself on reading any further. I opposed TABOR which was nothing more than some scheme cooked up by Mary Poppins to tie the hands of local government.

Peter, you said:

For the past 10 years, I have gone to New Hampshire for the spring, summer and fall seasons, working in my field. I easily make more than twice the money there, doing the same exact thing, so I can afford to keep my house in Maine, and an apartment in New Hampshire, and still come out way ahead, opposed to working in Maine year around.

If you think things are so good in New Hampshire I'm wondering what you are doing here in Maine ?

Then you go on to say:

I see no changes forthcoming here. Thus, I am saddened to say I am moving soon, out of state for good. There are no opportunities here for my kids, unless they want to make a career in the service industry. We'll all be gone soon. I'm sure I am not the only one planning an exodus. Counting my whole family, Maine can kiss goodbye to another $300,00-$400,000 worth of taxable income per year.

I'll agree, I don't see much changing in this economy in the short term because Maine usually is on the tail-end of any economic recovery the rest of the country experiences. I'm a bit more optimistic than you are in the long haul if we can somehow manage to rein in the Masshole tree huggers from stripping our state of access to our natural resources we can use to create jobs and revenue for the state, as well as increase our tax base.

Something tells me you aren't paying Maine taxes on all of that $300-400,000 income if you earned it in another state. As for your kids, if your income is what you claim it is it seems to me you can afford to send then to college to enable them to get a good paying job.

I'm really surprised you haven't left Maine already as unhappy as you sound,[/quote]

Post Mon 29 Mar, 2010 4:22 pm 
chortle
From Away

thus - huh?

If you think things are so good in New Hampshire I'm wondering what you are doing here in Maine ?

Yeah cept he wont be happy anyplace
He thinks hes better than other folk.

Thus, I am saddened to say I am moving soon, out of state for good.

to what planet? none of this planet is gonna make this guy happy

I'm really surprised you haven't left Maine already as unhappy as you sound,[/quote][/quote]

An Im realy surprised he hasnt left this forum since nobody cares about his stupid pole which he recluded to justify his angryness

Post Mon 29 Mar, 2010 7:05 pm 
PeterV
Wanna-be Mainah

Some good points!

I totally agree about the tree huggers wanting to keep Maine as their personal playground. Our coastline has been bought up by the fat-cats from Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey etc. They have effectively shut down growth, I feel, so they can enjoy the vistas from their coastline vacation homes. I think they squashed a proposal for a natural gas/LPG plant on some island around Portland?? That might have brought commerce and jobs to the State. Plum Creek around Moosehead Lake was fought hard as well. Burt's bees would turn the whole State into a playground.

No, I wouldn't necessarily be happier in NH, but I'd like to make enough money to retire and NOT live in the Bangor House.

As for my poll, I admit that was due to my frustration and anger at our elected officials. They continue to ignore us, the people that put them in office. When we elect representatives, we do so in order for our voices to be heard. Generally speaking, we have been electing them so THEIR voices can be heard, because they believe they know what's best for us. Right or wrong, we deserve to be heard and not controlled.

Regarding the $300,00-$400,00 income, that includes my whole extended family, not just me. Believe me, if I made that kind of money, I'd be running for office.

As for hate mongering, count me out. I am tired of taking it on the chin when new taxes are introduced. Maine is a poor State. All the new taxes of services and certain products are NOT going to be absorbed by the providers; they get passed on to the consumers: us. I simply am not going to take it lying down. We are already being taxed to death and it's not getting any better. Why aren't people screaming "bloody murder" and demanding change?

In the NFL, if a team doesn't perform, the coach is fired, even world class coaches are fired, even though they are competing in a field of other world class coaches. Hardly seems fair, but that's life. I want to see Maine as a top 10 performer in EVERY category. It appears to me that so many have just become used to being poor and doing the best they can. Well that's not good enough. Maine deserves better.

I think I am better than other folk? Also not true. I am likely a less desirable citizen than many. I'm just not willing to accept a poor performance by our government without bitching like heck about it. You must have noticed that every politician, above the local and regional governments is very well off financially. "He that has the gold, makes the rules". I have a problem with that. It's virtually impossible for an average schmuck like me to ever be elected to an office where I might make a difference. Just once I'd love to see a potato farmer from the county go to Washington. And once there, NOT be corrupted and be able to do the right thing without being censored and rendered powerless by the "good old boys".

There is no activity on these posts, either way, because this forum is not used. No-one visits. We are essentially invisible because no-one cares that's all.

OK, my soapbox is falling apart so I gtg.

Regards

Post Mon 29 Mar, 2010 11:04 pm 
tumbleweed
Official Mainah

Mainers tend to complain amongst themselves instead of organizing any effective challenge to throw the current lawmakers out of office in favor of more effective representation, so I don't foresee any drastic changes in Augusta. Unfortunately many voters seem to be too reserved as constituents to speak as one voice in demanding change.

Yes, we could throw the Democrats out on their ears but what will we get instead? Republicans? They aren't any better, they just sing a different tune until they get elected, then they push their agenda just like Democrats do which is why voters won't put them in the drivers seat. Mainers like the idea of lower taxes Republicans keep preaching on but they also don't want to part ways with entitlement programs so many of them seem to depend on which Republicans are sure to cut.

As for running for office I can't imagine why anyone would want to bring that level of scrutiny upon themselves. Politics is becoming a mud slinging contest that keeps our best qualified people on the sidelines because they don't want to subject themselves to all the bickering and fighting that goes with it.

In regards to the forum there was a time it was fairly active so it has potential because there aren't many options to choose from to discuss Maine issues. An upgrade to the phpbb format that would offer a few bells and whistles might attract a few new users, at least enough to start a few topics to bring out some of the users who made this place active in the past. I'm not sure what The Founder has in mind. He's been a bit quite himself lately so it hard to say.

Post Wed 31 Mar, 2010 10:34 am 
renadewalt
From Away

Yeah this PeterV is citing totally bogus numbers in an effort to frighten citizens & stir up hatred & discontent like any halfwit Republican so-called Conservative Free Market Phony.

We don't want your brand of "growth." It was scumbag Republican Free Market GREED that exploited our mill-workers and factory workers and polluted our rivers and dumped toxic waste into our woods. And most, like you, didn't even live in Maine year-round. You never gave a damn about the people of Maine & then you shipped all the jobs overseas because you wanted to exploit poor people in other countries and find even cheaper labor & less regulations than you could find here in Maine.

This PeterV character claims he read somewhere that between 1999 and 2009 there was only a net gain of thirty jobs in the entire state of Maine.

I would suggest to anyone who isn't a right-wingnut dirtbag to promptly proceed to the Maine government website where you can readily download any number of actual reports which totally refute everything worth refuting that this dirtbag says.

The recession began in December 2007. Look it up. Who was president then? Who was running the show? Two completely unfunded wars were being waged, untold billions of our hard-earned tax dollars were being funneled into the pockets of countless Middle East scumbags and phony 'contractors' who were supposed to be helping the Iraqis and NOW look at Iraq. They STILL don't have electricity and water and it STILL might as well be a civil war over there. Where'd all the money go? Right into the pockets of every scumbag Republican who could get away with it.

And the lie about only a net gain of 30 jobs in 10 years here in Maine? I just looked up a report from Maine gov site and here's just one example:

quote:
During this decade jobs have become more centralized in Maine. Between 2000 and 2007, the number of nonfarm wage and salary jobs rose 18,400 in the three metropolitan areas (net job gain of 12,900 in the Portland-South Portland-Biddeford area).--Maine Labor Market Trend Issues

That's just one document. So, folks, don't listen to greedy scumbag Republican doomsayers. Instead of listening to these Republican scumbags, you should go to Maine gov and read it all for yourselves. These scumbags whine about big government but then they whine louder because they think the government owes them a living. P*ss on 'em. They're full of nothing but lies.

Maine people are strong. Let all the greedy little scumbags move somewhere else to make their millions. I wouldn't be surprised to see them all move to China and work for the Red Chinese.

Post Tue 20 Jul, 2010 10:28 pm 
SPIDER
Official Mainah

I was raised in Houlton and while the folks there seemed complacent I wasn't.

I joined the USAF in 1956 and that was my ticket out of no-where Houlton.

I discharged (1960) in Portsmouth, NH and moved to Boston for a few years.

Got married and had a child on its way so I requested and rec'd a corporate transfer to Portland, Maine. I enjoyed Portland until the corp. had a nationwide lay-off and then I wound up with a good job in Augusta.

But it didn't take long before I realized that Augusta was 'a deader town' then Houlton ever was so I secured a job in Portsmouth and eventually started my own business there. I liked Portsmouth and NH.

After a few years, and 4 children later, I decided it was time to stop fighting old man Winter and moved (30+ yrs ago) to St. Augustine, Florida and became a trade school educator as well as being self employed for several more years.

Then I divorced and moved myself to Daytona Beach and have remained here ever since.

I was back in Bangor to settle my Mom's estate for a few years (late 80's) and found that Maine was still backwards in its politics and laws, and then I realized (Winter) why I moved to Florida quite a few years earlier.

I couldn't sell my inherited home for its once true market value ($80,000), dropped the price three times over a period of 7 months and finally asked the realtor what was the price median that most homes were actually selling for and was told $50,000.

So I decided that economics weren't getting any better in Bangor (Dow AFB shut-down) and sold the house for $49,900 in a heartbeat.

Thought I'd take a nostalgic trip to Houlton before returning to Florida and guess what happened .. More snow storms in three days!

So realizing that there was 'no way' I would encounter old faces in public I just barely made it down I-95 to Bangor in 'another' heavy snowstorm.

Got stuck in a Bangor motel for 4 days waiting for the roads to clear and then I was on my way out of snow country for good.

Now all I have to be concerned about is hurricanes and the Republicans!

Sometimes life is a biotch but I'd rather it be here than there ...
__
'S'

- COMPLACENCY -

Post Wed 21 Jul, 2010 5:15 am 

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> General Maine Discussions