FAQFAQ
   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
#1 In Identity Theft Protection

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> The Great Maine Outdoors

Southern Maine foliage color now at peak

Author    Thread
The Founder
Forum Governor

Late season leaf peepers will find great foliage color in southern Maine over the next seven days, according to the final fall foliage report released today by the state Department of Conservation.

Leaf color in the tracking zone covering the state’s southern coastline from Kittery to Camden is now at the low end of peak, or 85 percent turned. Forest rangers are also reporting moderate, or less than 50 percent, leaf drop in the region. Towns like North Berwick, York, Buxton and Brunswick are now displaying the most vibrant colors of the season.

Rangers are reporting peak color in the tracking zone covering coastal locations north of Camden to Calais and the zone covering central Maine, including Auburn, Augusta, Skowhegan and Bangor. The foliage color in all of these locations has turned closer to 100 percent compared to southern foliage. Leaf drop is also moderate in these regions.

Foliage in all other parts of Maine has passed peak color and leaf drop is now at more than 70 percent.

These fall events will take place during the next week: Halloween Night Hike at Maine Wildlife Park in Gray, Oct. 26; Apple Acres Farm Pumpkin Carving Contest in Hiram, Oct. 27; and the final Tommyknockers and More Bus Tour in Bangor, Oct. 28.

Be sure to file your own Maine leaf report on the Foliage Forum page of this Web site, and submit your scenic photographs to the Photo Gallery.

To provide the most accurate foliage information, DOC rangers will report conditions statewide every Wednesday through Oct. 24. Updated reports and information can also be obtained by calling the Maine foliage hotline at 1-888-MAINE-45. Learn more about Maine's fall touring routes and outdoor activities at www.visitmaine.com.

zonemap102407.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.16 KB
 Viewed:  7614 Time(s)

zonemap102407.gif

Post Sat 27 Oct, 2007 9:03 am 
PaulaJane
Moose

Foliage

Have any of you noticed the catapillar nests, the bee hives, etc are much lower to the ground this year?

My husband said that it means that we are not going to get much snow. What is your opinion?

Post Sat 27 Oct, 2007 9:48 pm 
funcpl
Mosquito

I read someone online recently about this winter being a mild and dry one. I'm hoping! I hate to shovel and I hate the cold.

Post Sun 28 Oct, 2007 12:40 pm 

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> The Great Maine Outdoors