FAQFAQ
   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
#1 In Identity Theft Protection

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> The Great Maine Outdoors

Maine foliage nearing peak in central, coastal locations

Author    Thread
The Founder
Forum Governor

Maine's central river valley and coastal locations will be the places to view great fall foliage during the next seven days, according to the fifth foliage report released today by the state Department of Conservation.

Currently, forest rangers are reporting high leaf color, or 50 to 75 percent toward peak, in tracking Zone 3 covering central towns along the Kennebec River including Skowhegan, Waterville and Augusta. Leaf color is the same in Zone 4 east of Bangor. The Millinocket area is now showing its best colors in this tracking area.

Drives from Belgrade to Rome, and Windsor to Union in central Maine have colorful views. Along the coastline, the Phippsburg peninsula and St. George peninsula in Zone 1 are both displaying brilliant fall color.

Other current conditions:

Zones 1 and 2, covering all coastal locations, are now displaying high color with low, or less than 30 percent, leaf drop. The time is right for a drive on the Loop Road at Acadia National Park.

Zone 5 covering western Maine and Moosehead Lake now has peak leaf color overall with 75 to 100 percent of the tree canopy changed. Leaf drop is moderate, or less than 50 percent. The Sebago Lake region is showing particularly nice foliage in this zone.

Foliage is now turning past peak color in far northern Maine, Zones 7 and 6, where leaf drop is also moderate.

Be sure to file your own Maine leaf report on the Foliage Forum page of this Web site, and submit your scenic photographs to the Photo Gallery.

To provide the most accurate foliage information, DOC rangers will report conditions statewide every Wednesday through Oct. 17. Updated reports and information can also be obtained by calling the Maine foliage hotline at 1-888-MAINE-45. Learn more about Maine's fall touring routes and outdoor activities at www.visitmaine.com.

zonemap101007.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.25 KB
 Viewed:  8063 Time(s)

zonemap101007.gif

Post Thu 11 Oct, 2007 6:52 am 
Kennebec
Mosquito

I live in zone 5 and I have to say that this was a spectacular weekend for the foliage. Now I need to fire up the lawn tractor to start bagging the leaf drops Smile The price we pay for such beauty and I have to say it is worth it.

Post Mon 15 Oct, 2007 8:00 pm 
funcpl
Mosquito

I'm a little sad after looking at the graphic. I didn't get a chance this year to go for my normal fall drive to leaf-peep. I guess I could still go.. I'll just have to be quick about it and head more south.

Post Tue 16 Oct, 2007 7:19 pm 

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> The Great Maine Outdoors