FAQFAQ
   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
#1 In Identity Theft Protection

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> Around The Water Cooler -> Health Corner

FDA Announces Plan to Eliminate Vitamin Companies

Author    Thread
PaulaJane
Moose

http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/FDA-Announces-Plan-to-Eliminate-Vitamin-Companies-25579.aspx

In June, the FDA announced new standards for dietary supplements that are supposed to improve consumer safety. In reality, the 800-page rule will likely interfere with business while intentionally eliminating various dietary supplement companies from the market.

The ruling surrounds the dietary supplement industry with regulations and requirements in excess of those imposed on the drug industry, and many will simply not be able to afford to comply.

Forcing Supplement Makers Out of Business

Already, independent analysis of the rule found that compliance costs will be 10 times the FDA estimates, and up to 50 percent of small companies will not be able to comply. Even the FDA states in the rule:

“Establishments with above average costs, and even establishments with average costs, could be hard pressed to continue to operate. Some of these may decide it is too costly and either change product lines or go out of business.”

The rule will also raise the price of dietary supplements to consumers. According to the FDA:

“We expect that the majority of these costs will be borne by consumers of dietary supplements, who will likely respond to the increase in prices by reducing consumption.”

The rule will be phased in over the next three years, and within five years half of the supplement industry could be gone or selling their products at significantly higher prices.

Although the FDA and government are loaded with people trying to eliminate all competition for the drug companies, there are still some who are seeking justice. U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, for instance, has introduced much-needed legislation that would limit the FDA’s authority over supplements.

Post Tue 31 Jul, 2007 3:38 pm 
wanderer
Official Mainah

If there's a safety concern, yes, the government should do what it can to get unsafe products off the market. Otherwise, hands off. What people put in their own bodies truly isn't the governments business.

Not surprising to hear Paul's name in opposition. Unfortunately politicians like him are virtually extinct.

Post Wed 01 Aug, 2007 9:01 am 
PaulaJane
Moose

Safety

Unfortunately, there really isn't any "safety concerns". It's all about control once more. Foods are not drugs, and therefore, the drug cartel really have no business with them what so ever.

Unfortunately too is that the prices will go up and up so that the vitamins will no longer be affordable.

Then is the matter of "free speech" that seeps it head in here... We the people of the United States are no longer free to tell people that there is something out there that is better than drugs.

For instance, back in 2005, I lost the use of my left leg and arm. I found some nutrients online, and tried them. Soon after that, I was walking, and by June I was even walking with a normal gait. By September of 2005, I started regaining the use of my arm. Right now my arm is close to at least 87% good. The only thing I can't do is to carry a pot of water to the stove without holding my elbows close to my sides. Otherwise, I am doing super good.

Today I got really excited because I walked up 20 steps without holding on to any railing, and I used both legs climbing up. So, I got really excited as this was yet another hurdle.

Unfortunately, I am forbidden to tell people what it is that is literally changing my life. If I do, it is making claims that it is a drug. Yet, since when do drugs cure anything? I know they have lots and lots of side affects, and I know that prescribed drugs is the #1 killer of mankind.

It is all very sad.

Post Thu 02 Aug, 2007 8:51 pm 
wanderer
Official Mainah

Again, I'm not against you on the issue here, but putting blind faith in supplement manufacturers isn't any wiser than putting blind faith in doctors, or supermarkets, or restaurants, or any other places that one gets things to put in their bodies. You claim, and I agree to an extent, that the pharmaceutical business is a scam, more interested in profit than healing. But guess what? There are plenty of supplement and alternative health providers that are just as big phonies, just trying to sap some money out of the most vulnerable of people with mumbo jumbo and placebos.

What aren't you free to share? I don't understand.

Post Fri 03 Aug, 2007 9:54 am 
PaulaJane
Moose

I am aware that there are company's out there that do not put quality into their products. I used to think I was getting a great bargain at one of the vitamin co's that gave 3 for 1. The salesclerk questioned whether I had looked at the milligrams of the capsules..and I had not. I didn't buy there anymore because I understood just what he meant.. I was really paying for the equivalency of 1 bottle, but had to take 4 bottles to get what it should of been. If I explained that right. haha

We all know that neither food nor drugs cure people. But, when you feed your body the nutrients that they have been missing for many many years, your body tends to heal itself.

I have been telling people about what has been happening, and that is what I am no longer aloud to do. I think that is because the drug cartel got wind of it, (not just me), and is making claim that we are claiming to treat, cure, or/and mitigate diseases. Oh well, it is a bit confusing to me.

I have read many times in the past about how the FDA takes their SWAT team (armed and ready) into these vitamin stores (vitamins), churches (holy water and some sort of tool used to heal?), and other places. They confiscate all the documents (and the company doesn't normally get them back)... Well, rather than me getting into details of which I don't have exact in my mind.. I will bring them here when I locate them again.

I hate talking about stuff that I really don't have the solid facts in front of me.

There isn't much that I need to change in the way I have been doing things, because I have known since 1978 that there are words and phrases that cannot be used when talking about what is good for us, or good for me.

You probably read or heard in the news not too long ago about the FDA raiding the cranberry fields because someone made a claim that they were heart healthy or something like that. It's that sort of stuff that I am talking about. Power, possession, and profit.

We do need to get our soldiers back here and protect us against the government.

Post Fri 03 Aug, 2007 6:41 pm 
ET1(SS)
Official Pissant

wow

Maine Organic Farmers and Gardener Fair

Post Sun 05 Aug, 2007 7:38 pm 
tumbleweed
Official Mainah

Here is an article that explains what this measure is trying to accomplish.

WASHINGTON, (Reuters) — Makers of vitamins, herbs and other dietary supplements taken by millions of Americans must meet new government standards to show the products are free of contamination and contain exactly what the label says, United States health officials said Friday.

Under the Food and Drug Administration rules, companies in the $18-billion-a-year industry must test the purity, strength and composition of all of their supplements.

“This rule helps to ensure the quality of dietary supplements so that consumers can be confident that the products they purchase contain what is on the label,” Andrew von Eschenbach, the commissioner of food and drugs, said in a statement.

Congress gave the agency power to set manufacturing standards for dietary supplements in a 1994 law. The final requirements announced on Friday will not apply to all makers until 2010.

In addition to product testing, the new standards address design and construction of manufacturing plants, record-keeping and handling of consumer complaints.

Inspectors will check manufacturing plants for compliance, F.D.A. officials said. For less serious violations, the agency may ask a company to fix a problem. Bigger problems could lead to product seizures or other action, said Robert Brackett, head of the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition at the agency.

Some supplements have been recalled in the past because they were contaminated with microbes, pesticides or metal, or because they did not contain the ingredients listed.

The drug agency has also warned companies that sold supplements with undeclared drug ingredients for impotence, and others with less-than-advertised levels of vitamins A and C and folic acid.

Senator Richard J. Durbin, Democrat of Illinois, said the manufacturing rule was “better late than never,” but he added that “the requirements do not appear to go as far as they could have.”

Supplements do not have to be proven safe and effective before they can be sold, as medicines do, and the new rules will not change that.

Source

Post Sun 05 Aug, 2007 10:55 pm 
Vizzini
Lobstah

I'm sure China is working on how to comply with all of the minute details as we speak...

Relying on government safety measures etc. to insure the safey of your food etc. is like relying on the local police to save you from a motivated criminal who wants to kill you. The only way to effectively protect yourself from criminals is by being armed and the only way to make sure that you're not eating crap is by growing/killing you're own food.

Post Mon 06 Aug, 2007 3:19 pm 
PaulaJane
Moose

Words well spoken Vizzini! I applaud you!! You do see the real issue here. The FDA can't even take care of their own business without getting in bed with the Drug Cartel.

Dealing with the drug cartel is like dealing with the IRS. What was it we were talking about? It was like 6 or 7 years ago that we were all fired up with doing away with the IRS, and coming in with a 'Fair Tax' system. Yup, that was just a joke.

Post Wed 08 Aug, 2007 2:38 am 

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> Around The Water Cooler -> Health Corner