FAQFAQ
   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
#1 In Identity Theft Protection

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> The Great Maine Outdoors

Nightcrawlers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
mistydawn0801
Wanna-be Mainah

Tumbleweed, I do love to fish but haven't had the opportunity to go in the last few years.

Plus I left all the fishing gear with the ex and now I live in a new area of the state and wouldn't have a clue as to where to go fishing.

I'm not squeamish, wiggly little worms don't bother me any. I spend time with my daughter catching snakes, frogs and anything else.

(don't tell anyone but I'm scared to DEATH of spiders lmao)

Post Fri 07 Apr, 2006 7:20 am 
tumbleweed
Official Mainah

mistydawn

Don't feel bad about the spiders. I'm scared of Bumble Bees. hide

I got stung on the inside of my ear when I was a kid. I get a chill down my spine every time I get buzzed by one. That and I get an allergic reaction when I get stung. Laughing

A good way to find out where some of the good fishing might be in your area is look in the rules book. They list the limits on fish in any of the lakes and streams in your area.

As far as fishing gear, places like Wal-Mart have specials on poles. I bought 3 poles that came in a package deal for $9.99 last year. I caught just as many fish with those as I have with any of my other poles. I usually jam at least one a year in the car door, so they aren't a big loss when something happens to them.

They usually have poles that have a kids theme also, like an Elmo pole. Laughing

For less than $20 you can buy enough gear to enjoy the sport.

The look on a kids face when they catch a fish is priceless. Wink

Post Fri 07 Apr, 2006 8:05 am 
mistydawn0801
Wanna-be Mainah

Oh my daughter would LOVE an Elmo pole. I'll definitely have to look into doing some fishing this summer. (oh no, now I'm having visions of my daughter being carried away by black flies)

I remember once when I was a kid fishing and a car went by and beeped and I dropped my brother's pole in....LOL. Although he didn't think it was too funny. I only remember us catching alot of pickerel...darned ugly things they are.

Post Fri 07 Apr, 2006 9:51 am 
Chub Fisherman
Official Pissant

and smelly!

Post Fri 07 Apr, 2006 11:48 am 
mistydawn0801
Wanna-be Mainah

oh yes, very smelly. Have a grandmother that swears they make a good chowder....never dared to venture there. tongue

Post Fri 07 Apr, 2006 12:41 pm 
Chub Fisherman
Official Pissant

They say they make good fish cakes, but only in the winter time. When you catch them in the summer they have a very muddy taste.
I have eaten them, but you either have to spend time "deboning" them or deal with picking bones out of your teeth. They taste good when fried.
I glad to know you have taken your child fishing.

Post Mon 10 Apr, 2006 5:52 am 
Chub Fisherman
Official Pissant

Good News! I caught,yes caught, over 7 dozen nightcrawlers last night. Thats about $30.00 savings for my fishing fund. If it rains on Saturday, I'll be getting more.
When i first went out at 9:00pm they were everywhere. Some were so horny they were almost all they way out of their holes. I got a few doubles, but missed a triple. 99% of them didnt break but because it stopped raining they were very spooky. Anyway, I expect to get 400-600 of them to fill my needs.
I do have to get somes real worms, though.
Anyway, its friday so tomarrow I'm going to sneak out a do a little fishing after I go to the dump.
You all should try a little late night nightcrawling. It was such a nice evening last night, too.

Post Fri 14 Apr, 2006 12:43 pm 
tumbleweed
Official Mainah

Do you need a permit to have that many worms ? They will consider you a dealer, then tax your worm farm. Laughing

Post Fri 14 Apr, 2006 2:53 pm 
Chub Fisherman
Official Pissant

I went nightcrawling Thusday night and I got over 7 dozen nightcrawlers. It was sweet. I'm going to go out tonight to get more. I have them set up in a 5 gallon bucket full of loam, grass, newspaper, and coffee grounds to keep them for the duration of summer. I only have about 4-600 hundred more to go to fulfill my needs in the night crawler department. As for worms, I dug in the garden beds at my office and got about about thrree dozen nice worms and went fishing on Saturday. What a day! It was pooring rain, about 45degrees F, and everybody was inside their houses bundled up. It was so beautiful out, too. My favorite stream in Hancock county(one of the few that's loaded with trout) had been dammed up in three areas, and each pool was full of trout. I caught 16 brookies, all about 7-8" except for a few that were 10'' or so. I kept three that were gill hooked. One trout I had somehow jigged the hook into his neck right by the spine. I use #10 hooks so it didnt go too deep, yet it paralized him. When I dropped him in back in, he sank to the bottom, and I had to get him back in with the tip of my pole.
Anyway it was a great time...and I'm up to 18 trout for the year.
Tumbleweed, I now its still early up by you, I talked to my dad who lives in southern Aroostook, and he tried to fish on a lake by our house. He said there was only open water near the shore,and nothing was biting. You'll have to go smelting. Rolling Eyes

Post Sun 16 Apr, 2006 4:10 pm 
tumbleweed
Official Mainah

I hear the ice is out down at East Grand. They are catching a few up here, but it should be better in a week or so. The worms just started coming out up here. Laughing

We still have snow in the woods in a few places keeping the water cool.They should be biting pretty good as soon as they thaw out. Mr. Green

Sounds like your off to a good start this year. Good luck.

Post Sun 16 Apr, 2006 4:27 pm 
Chub Fisherman
Official Pissant

I went out last night after work 8:00pm. I got over 200 nightcrawlers in less than 20 minutes. it was unbelievable. I have never seen so many nightcrawlers at one time. I usually get 1-3 night crawlers a step, but last night I was getting 10-15 a step. They are usually very jumpy, too. When you go for one all the others within a foot usually feel the vibrations and dart down their holes. Not last night! I caught three at one time! I would pull up one that was right next to another one and then grab him too. Crazy but good. I almost have enough for the year.

Post Wed 03 May, 2006 5:42 am 

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> The Great Maine Outdoors