FAQFAQ
   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
#1 In Identity Theft Protection

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> Introductions & Welcome Center

Hello

Author    Thread
ET1(SS)
Official Pissant

Hello

I am new here, I am ET1(SS) Galen Young.

I am in the process of moving my family here (Maine), I bought some land last year and am now building a home. My wife is still in Connecticut, she works for the federal government and is hoping to soon transfer to Bangor and join me.

I am currently in the Navy Fleet Reserve, having completed 20+ years on active duty. I am an Electronics Technician First Class Petty Officer. I served onboard the USS George C. Marshall SSBN 654 for 6 years, the USS Simon Lake AS-33 for 3 years, the USS Brig Gen Casimir Pulaski SSBN 633 for 2 years, the USS Alaska SSBN 732 for 4 years. I also completed 6 years as an MP, lastely serving in the combat theater of Kosovo.

Hi everyone.

Post Sun 28 Aug, 2005 6:41 pm 
whynot
Official Mainah

Welcome to Maine and thank you for your service to our country.

Post Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:43 pm 
ET1(SS)
Official Pissant

thank you

Very Happy

Post Mon 29 Aug, 2005 1:23 pm 
PaulaJane
Moose

Welcome

Welcome ET1SS! Very Happy What sort of location are you settling at here in Maine? Rural? City? Suburb? I was brought up in CT, and despised my parents for moving me there. But, now that I am back in Maine again, I am getting ready to move out of Maine. Maybe to NH or some other less-taxed state.

Post Mon 05 Sep, 2005 12:17 pm 
DarkKanos
From Away

Welcome young padawn ET1(SS). Paula where do you live now? Smile

Post Mon 05 Sep, 2005 6:29 pm 
ET1(SS)
Official Pissant

I have 42 acres out in rural Argyle. We are making a farm. I worked at a goat dairy while going through college, and just want to get back to a little more rural lifestyle.

I have lived in California, Washington, Virginia, Connecticut, Scotland, and Italy. I have had apartment buildings in California, washington, connecticut and scotland.

If you can find a place with cheaper taxes, move there. Everywhere I have been was far more expensive.

Only four states are left which do not charge income taxes. And keep in mind that while some areas are overall cheaper to live, the comparative standard of living is also much lower.

In my travels, I have known men who supported their families on $100 per year, they lived in nations where such is common; but nobody there has electricity, or running water, and house walls are formed by sun baking camel dung mixed with mud.

My eldest son wants to buy land in Texas. "but dad it is so cheap, I can get land for $50 an acre, I can park a trailer on it and hunt and live well for under a $1000 a year."

But I say: "that is alkaly desert. you have to pump water up 2000 feet just to get a drink of water. You dont have a paved road for 50 miles in any direction, There is no electricity, the only thing to 'hunt' is armadillo and lizards. And 120 degrees!"

Post Mon 05 Sep, 2005 9:04 pm 
PaulaJane
Moose

Arizona

My husband and I went to Arizona back in 74. I remember most vividly, the dust storm they had. I called my husband to the front of Keiths house and pointed to the distant....where it looked like a tornado was taking place. We then told Keith, and then the fun began. Closing the windows, covering the pool, etc...It didn't do any good though. The sand came in anyway.

Post Thu 08 Sep, 2005 5:06 am 

Your Maine Forum Forum Index -> Introductions & Welcome Center